Genesis Silver B - Blue Head restored (rescued)

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
This was grill someone had painted flat black. Why? Who the heck knows. He actually thought it was a black grill that someone had painted blue when I bought it. ??????

ROZ0jtn.jpg

orpXMjU.jpg

BZ88Xg9.jpg

cUyfTkT.jpg

JxlAfTe.jpg

lImWz6h.jpg

z0WqfgP.jpg

ijjCQTR.jpg

G3Drxs3.jpg

rfQW37f.jpg

Images continued on next page post:

That looks great Bruce. I have the exact same grill in my garage waiting for me to rehab.

Gee Bruce, that’s the same grill I have put on permanent loan but, I need to find a new firebox, then really tear it down and rehab it for my wife’s son.
Just spotted a possible donor for $20 that I set him on the trail of. I will do the bulk of the work but, he’s got to get the unit.
The one for that price is a NG unit but, all the innards on the blue one are relatively new so, the changeover should be pretty straightforward.... yeah, SURE it will!

Wow, Bruce! That one is extra sharp. Looks like you went all out. I doubt it will stay on your for sale shelf for long. I like the blue and gray combination and the double fold-down tables are so much more practical than today’s fixed side shelves. Somebody is going to be a lucky new owner.

P.S. What grates did you use?

Wow, Bruce! That one is extra sharp. Looks like you went all out. I doubt it will stay on your for sale shelf for long. I like the blue and gray combination and the double fold-down tables are so much more practical than today’s fixed side shelves. Somebody is going to be a lucky new owner.

P.S. What grates did you use?

Honsgo. I used my last set on this one. I won't likely order any more until next spring unless I see a deal on those or one of the others that I can't refuse.

Nice work as always, Bruce. I thought you were done grinding fireboxes?

Right you are Dave. I actually cleaned it up with Sams Club grill/oven cleaner, but I did it over a week ago and left it set outside. It got all of that oxidation crap all over it and I didn't really rinse it after I finished cleaning it, so instead of going through the trouble of re-cleaning it with cleaner and steel wool, I figured I would just give a quicky once over with the angle grinder since I was forced to strip the outside of the box due to peeling and a previous owner paint job on it. I think I might do the same to future rehabs as it only takes a few minutes of grinding to shine it up after doing the grill cleaner thing. I think the added shine is worth it.

Bruce you make them better than the factory. I am the same with my mixers but it's just really hard getting people to appreciate it. Because my improvements come locked on the inside where they don't make a difference until years down the road when mine are still going strong and a factory fresh one is groaning and squeaking under load

Larry, I totally understand that dilemma. BTW, how is that hobby going? How many have you been turning out lately?

I agree also, that while it is a bit hard to get people to understand the quality of these grills, especially after completely rehabbed, it is easier to present the work done on them than it would be on a mixer. I am convinced that a good portion of these grills are simply put out to pasture because the owner doesn't want to clean up the horrendous mess he himself created or he just doesn't want to deal with replacing burners or even grates and flavorizer bars. They just figure the grill is toast when the grease catcher fills up to the bottom of the flavorizer bars or the burners quit working good. But, I am not complaining, because that is what makes the rehab hobby a possibility for me. Sometimes I think that I am basically running a grill cleaning service, but in reality, it is so much more than that. I basically take the grill down screw by screw and bolt by bolt to a large tupperware container full of parts. The only thing I don't really break down completely is the frame. I take everything off of it though. Cleaning, scrubbing and scraping is a actually a pretty small part.

Well, there I go, rambling again. I guess I am beginning to miss my rehab season already as it officially ended today with me redoing the emblem on my last grill of the season which is now listed for sale.

I think it’s a really GOOD thing that there is as much distance between some of us. I can just see firebox cleaning parties followed by fabulous feasting! I’d love to meet a lot of you guys! I have met a couple and will meet one more in a week or so. The face to face has been fun! We are a “Breed Apart” to many!

I have thought about that, too. I wish we could do like the Weber Kettle Club does and have an annual “meet” in a central location. Last month I had the opportunity to meet Chris from GA in person. Besides doing a deal on grill parts we had a good time sharing while eating at a South Georgia BBQ place.

I would think it would have to be regional at least. But, either way, if someone is traveling for business or pleasure, they could just post up their itinerary and ask if anyone wanted to meet along the route. Kind of like you mentioned if you make another trip up to Chicago land.

I think it’s a really GOOD thing that there is as much distance between some of us. I can just see firebox cleaning parties followed by fabulous feasting! I’d love to meet a lot of you guys! I have met a couple and will meet one more in a week or so. The face to face has been fun! We are a “Breed Apart” to many!

Thanks for these awesome words Timothy. We can all relate to that. A restoration party would be fun. But I need to brew again before I start one. All that dust during fire box clean out makes one thirsty. 😂🍺

Bruce
As you can well imagine, with everything that has been happening in my family recently production has been nil. I actually sold one Pro 600 recently. The one we had on our kitchen counter. It has been being used for about 18 mos so I figured it was well "vetted" LOL. Only because I got a couple of the truly commercial grade 8 qt machines in and I wanted to "vet" those after the refurb process. Thing is though I like them so much (so smooth and quiet) I may not sell one of them and only sell the one I don't keep. I have one red and one black. They're very expensive new. Close to $1000 so if I sell one of them in the $450 to $500 range it'll pay for one on my counter as a permanent resident :D

Back