GENESIS 5000 TIMBER - GREY PAINT OR STAIN?

The teak slats are better looking to my eye too, I still think it's pretty cool to make it look original as well. In my previous case, original was the plastic durawood that I don't necessarily have a problem with but wanted something a little nicer. A big part of that was how much better the original wood handles looked opposed to the durawood version. Oh, and there was one more detail that put me over the top on making new wood. I purchased all new stainless steel zbars from RcPlanebuyer and the screw holes for the slats were in different spots than the original ones. Even if I had wanted to reuse the durawood slats I would have had to space them properly and drill new holes in the slats. I knew before I did it what a hassle that was going to be so that was the final decision maker on that.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I am also in Australia.
I have two 5000s (both green) one fully restored, one for spares.
To me, the original timber slats are a grey stained US maple.
I also had a 'brand new' (now gifted to our daughter- liked the 'retro' look) Genesis 1100 'Red Head'.
The slats on that also appeared to be grey stained US Maple.(a very flat, matt finish)
On my 5000 restore the original slats were 'faded' and in some parts a bit of rot had set in,
so I replaced them with Australian Crows Ash (a.k.a Australian Teak),finished with two coats of a
light teak colour, transparent water based timber decking stain/sealer.
The 5000 is kept under a Weber cover (Weber 7552), and the slats are lasting well.
I do prefer the timber look to the grey stain.
Stephen R
Hey Mate, cheers for that, where abouts in OZ? I'm in Melbourne. Nice that you've got 2 5000's!! I've currently got a Genesis Junior, 1100, 2000, 3000 and now the 5000. Also have a Summit E-670 that I use for my gas cooks.

The new 1100 was a good find!!

Yeah I love the teak / redwood look on the darker enamel hoods. I've got a grey lid and I just find the contrast isn't the same, hence opting for the grey timber which looks great against the gloss black and grey lid. I'm still tinkering with options but think I've finally settled

The teak slats are better looking to my eye too, I still think it's pretty cool to make it look original as well. In my previous case, original was the plastic durawood that I don't necessarily have a problem with but wanted something a little nicer. A big part of that was how much better the original wood handles looked opposed to the durawood version.
The teak looks great on the blacks, reds and greens, just not a fan against the grey lids, is a weird contrast!! Never seen the durawood in person, does it look too recycled?

Hey Mate, cheers for that, where abouts in OZ? I'm in Melbourne. Nice that you've got 2 5000's!! I've currently got a Genesis Junior, 1100, 2000, 3000 and now the 5000. Also have a Summit E-670 that I use for my gas cooks.

The new 1100 was a good find!!

Yeah I love the teak / redwood look on the darker enamel hoods. I've got a grey lid and I just find the contrast isn't the same, hence opting for the grey timber which looks great against the gloss black and grey lid. I'm still tinkering with options but think I've finally settled
Hi Mark,
South Coast of NSW.
Genesis Jnr., nice, you do not see too many of them either.
I have tended to collect/restore the Summit Gassers in recent years.
Currently working on an E-460 which I think is going to become my 'go to' cooker for pizzas and rotisserie.
It's a fun hobby, with this great forum to help guide you.
Although you do get some puzzled looks from people when they walk in the back yard.
I agree the grey hood, red/pink stripes probably does look better with the original grey slats.
I debated to restore original or not, but I like the timber look, and had the timber in the shed.
And the new SS fixings I like as well. A little bit of 'bling'.

Stephen R

Hi Mark,
South Coast of NSW.
Genesis Jnr., nice, you do not see too many of them either.
I have tended to collect/restore the Summit Gassers in recent years.
Currently working on an E-460 which I think is going to become my 'go to' cooker for pizzas and rotisserie.
It's a fun hobby, with this great forum to help guide you.
Although you do get some puzzled looks from people when they walk in the back yard.
I agree the grey hood, red/pink stripes probably does look better with the original grey slats.
I debated to restore original or not, but I like the timber look, and had the timber in the shed.
And the new SS fixings I like as well. A little bit of 'bling'.

Stephen R
Nice Mate, I was up working in the Wagga region late last year, nice bit of country.

Yeah the Junior is up there with one of my favourites. This was a full resto but happy with the results.

Yeah non of my mates understand the hobby but I love it. Wasn't in to restoration work until these. Have quite a few kettles and bits & pieces but the older Genesis are up there as my favourites.

Yeah the grey lid with the grey timber will go well together 👍

Attachments

• 20210925_164805.jpg
    20210925_164805.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210925_164836.jpg
    20210925_164836.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210925_164752.jpg
    20210925_164752.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210925_160011.jpg
    20210925_160011.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210925_155633.jpg
    20210925_155633.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210925_162055.jpg
    20210925_162055.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 3
Hey Guys, was looking through some of my book archives and found these which are pretty cool.

The one with the Grey lid is an older brochure as it still has it as the Genesis 5, where the black is the 5000.

It also mentions that the timber was Cedar, which still makes me think these were shipped without the timber

Attachments

• 20230312_114242.jpg
    20230312_114242.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230312_114228.jpg
    20230312_114228.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yeah, there really aren't too many differences between 1-5 and 1000-5000 series grills. The two most obvious ones I look at are the wheels and the pointer on the tank scale. I think the table you made for the left side of your Jr. looks very factory, nice work.

Hey Guys, was looking through some of my book archives and found these which are pretty cool.

The one with the Grey lid is an older brochure as it still has it as the Genesis 5, where the black is the 5000.

It also mentions that the timber was Cedar, which still makes me think these were shipped without the timber

I do not think I have seen a black lid 5000 in OZ.

Could be American Cedar, it is light enough in weight. Not Western Red Cedar, or Australian Red Cedar.
I suspect that they did come with the US slats installed. The 'New' 1100 I have was a direct import that had been in storage for many years.
The grey stained slats on the 1100 are identical to the 5000 slats.

Stephen R

Yeah, there really aren't too many differences between 1-5 and 1000-5000 series grills. The two most obvious ones I look at are the wheels and the pointer on the tank scale. I think the table you made for the left side of your Jr. looks very factory, nice work.
Yeah slight differences between the 2, mainly just a name change.

Thanks Mate, yeah I thought it looked a little bland just having the handles, but happy with how the little table came out 👍

I do not think I have seen a black lid 5000 in OZ.

Could be American Cedar, it is light enough in weight. Not Western Red Cedar, or Australian Red Cedar.
I suspect that they did come with the US slats installed. The 'New' 1100 I have was a direct import that had been in storage for many years.
The grey stained slats on the 1100 are identical to the 5000 slats.

Stephen R
Not many 5000's in OZ altogether but yeah I haven't seen a black with the pin stripes.

Could of definitely came from America with the timber, I was under under the impression that the American versions had Maple or Redwood.

The other thing is my 5000 had painted timber slats, not stained, which could of possibly been from factory or someone has done it over the years. Always a good talking point 😁

Thank you for posting those cool old catalog entries. :coolkettle:

I am willing to bet that the black hood 5000 was an Australian edition. Is that a regional ad for you all down under? In the US, all I have ever seen is the striped light gray and the striped maroon some also call "mauve."

I am willing to bet that the black hood 5000 was an Australian edition. Is that a regional ad for you all down under? In the US, all I have ever seen is the striped light gray and the striped maroon some also call "mauve."
Now that I think about it, Jon, I think you may be right about that. I thought it was a platinum series lid at first glance. I have seen a 5000 black lid platinum series before so I know that was a thing.20221110_121835.jpg

Mark, I'm starting to think you may be right about the grills coming to Australia without wood and being added there. I've never seen the mention of cedar wood slats in any of Weber's American brochures, and the one you have is clearly not one. I can tell by some of the phrases and of course the spelling of "flavourizer" gives it away for sure.

Thanks Jon, I've scanned in the entire brochure, I believe Stephen R has put up a similar one previously. There are a few alterations to these. I've got one where the 'Lemon' page is a Genesis cartoon 😁

I honestly don't know if the black lid is region only to Australia, I know they only had the 2 x colours in the brochure

Attachments

• WEBER BROCHURE - 1 (1).pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Mark, I'm starting to think you may be right about the grills coming to Australia without wood and being added there. I've never seen the mention of cedar wood slats in any of Weber's American brochures, and the one you have is clearly not one. I can tell by some of the phrases and of course the spelling of "flavourizer" gives it away for sure.
Yeah I mean it's only a theory and honestly don't know but there's no one that knows to confirm. It does make sense being Cedar though, especially if the American versions were Maple or Redwood.

I've just uploaded the full brochure and yes it is an Australian brochure which is from the period.

Back