Genesis 1000 restoration almost finished and my grill is smokin’

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
All I have left to finish is applying the finish to the slats and refinishing the tank scale. It is assembled and it started up the first time. So tonight, while I was working on the tank scale, I decided to install the RCP bars and grates and let it run 15 minutes to see how hot it would get.

After 14 minutes it was at about 600. That’s when I noticed wisps of brown smoke coming from the left front frame member (where the swing table mounts). I have not installed any frame plugs, but the left front was the only one emitting smoke. I shut it down immediately.

The frame was painted on the outside with Krylon high heat and on the inside with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating.

So, is it nothing to worry about or do I need to redo the inside with a different product?

TL;DR: brown smoke came out of my frame when I ran the grill to 600. Frame was internally painted with Eastwood frame coating. Ignore it or redo it?

Is the Eastwood frame coating paint a high heat paint? Sounds like that area might be getting some heat. If it's not high heat paint I'd redo it.

I doubt the frame proper got that hot unless there is something structurally or functionally wrong with the grill.

I'll try a longer burn off with the grill moved a ways from the house.

I used the Eastwood product because Larry, Jon and others have used it, and it comes with a 2ft long spray nozzle to get all the way into the frame. I took apart the frame during the restoration. I have a video, but have not been able to upload it to imgur. Bruce, I don't think anything is functionally wrong with the grill. My grill came with a non-functioning tank scale, so I'm fairly sure it's an LP manifold. Here is a pic of the flame when I lit it the first time:

IMG_3186.jpg

Brand new burners, igniter, hose/regulator, and tank. I also cleaned the valves and detailed the manifold.

That thing looks like it is running in NEW condition. I am sure it is just that the Eastwood product isn't rated for as hot as it is getting next to the cook box. Just let it run on high for an hour or so and it should burn away any of it that needs to be. I would leave it run a good half hour after you stop seeing any fumes or smoke. You might also want to put the flavorizer bars in when heating it as they might funnel even a bit more heat to the left and right edges.

That thing looks like it is running in NEW condition. I am sure it is just that the Eastwood product isn't rated for as hot as it is getting next to the cook box. Just let it run on high for an hour or so and it should burn away any of it that needs to be. I would leave it run a good half hour after you stop seeing any fumes or smoke. You might also want to put the flavorizer bars in when heating it as they might funnel even a bit more heat to the left and right edges.

I did have the bars and grates in when the smoking occurred. I'll let it run on high as you suggest.

I have not experienced this, but maybe you did an extra thorough job with the Eastwood. It is true that it is not rated to that kind of temperature. I am with Bruce that a good long burn off should ultimately clear up your issue.

p.s. Your firebox looks like a museum piece! Awesome work(y)!

Honestly I would not worry about it. Just let it burn off. Your flame patterns and sizes look correct for the fuel you are using as well

Update: I’m ten minutes into a one hour burn off.

826FFC8D-9F9F-4279-8868-A1D62709880C.jpeg

I’m keeping an eye on it while I rub down the slats with steel wool before the second and final coat of oil.

75668454-1132-448B-BE4A-54B5B68ECF70.jpeg

I’ll post what happens after the hour has passed.

I think you are there. It looks to be coming together as an extra well done restoration. Congrats for seeing it through.

That took longer than I would have expected. I guess you really had that thing coated inside.

Thanks, Jon and Bruce. It was my first time painting the inside of anything with an extension nozzle. Judging by what ran out when I did it, I'm sure I probably went a little heavy. I may blow some compressed air through the top frame members to see what comes out.

That took longer than I would have expected.

My patient wife has said the same thing about this entire project, in slightly different words. ;)

And thanks to Joel Young, my serial number sticker is ready to print:

serial number sticker FILLED.jpg

I downloaded a free dot matrix font that was the closest I could find to the real thing.

LOL: You went the extra mile on the restore. Congrats. If the tube starts smoking again during the cook, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it would enter the cook box at all. Eventually it will fully burn out.

LOL: You went the extra mile on the restore. Congrats. If the tube starts smoking again during the cook, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it would enter the cook box at all. Eventually it will fully burn out.

It's been a fun project. I've never been considered myself to be handy, so I've really enjoyed learning lots of different things. I already have my next projects lined up, a cart for my WSM22 and refinishing the butcher block kitchen island. I will get a more detailed build thread up when I'm completely finished.

I don't think vapors will be an issue after I put the end plugs in and install the flip-up table. BTW, does anyone have a spare of the upgraded slide hardware for the side shelf they would like to sell?

Back