Gen 1000 manifold question for the group

Bobby Segars

TVWBB Super Fan
Question is why would a Gen 1000 manifold not work on high but when you turn the knob to medium the burner lights up all along the tube? You turn it back to high and the flame goes away. Happening on the center and rear burners, the front burner does fine.

Bobby

Did you clean and lube the valves? If you did, then you may have used too much lube. After I did my manifold, medium and low did not work on the middle and rear burners. I disassembled the valves and the medium and low ports were plugged with too much lube. Get a toothpick and clean out the ports.

Ok, thanks! But @Chris Allingham , if I click on that link, it brings up a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe I understand too well about gas pressure and molecules and air/fuel ratios and why the hell won't this thing light, but it seems to be a common enough problem to have its own easily accessed topic. Or not, it's your call. And thanks, Chris, I mean really...just thanks.

The problem with sticking posts is that you end up with half or three-quarters of the gas forum homepage listing sticky topics and it just hurts the overall experience. Our compromise is to create the sticky index page, and on that page is a link to "How To" topics", and one of those topics is HOW TO: Cleaning & Lubricating Weber Gas Grill Valves.

Ultimately, it's up to helpful members to help others find these posts. In the case of this thread, Bobby was not looking for info on cleaning and lubing valves, so he wouldn't be looking for it on the gas forum homepage.

It's always good to question these things, though. Thanks for asking and suggesting, Ed. I really appreciate it! :D

If one burner works normally and the rest don't my guess is there may be a clue in that. Did you do anything with the burners? Are the spider guards clogged? Did you change the air shutters? Start there. and work your way back. Personally unless you did something start with basics and KISS. Is it an LP grill? If so try resetting the regulator. Turn everything off, remove the tank, turn valves on to purge the lines then turn them off. Hook tank back up. VERY VERY S L O W L Y turn the tank back on. Try lighting it then, If all works you found the trouble, if not it may be a bad regulator. Manifolds don't just "go bad". Especially if you've don't nothing to them.

If one burner works normally and the rest don't my guess is there may be a clue in that. Did you do anything with the burners? Are the spider guards clogged? Did you change the air shutters? Start there. and work your way back. Personally unless you did something start with basics and KISS. Is it an LP grill? If so try resetting the regulator. Turn everything off, remove the tank, turn valves on to purge the lines then turn them off. Hook tank back up. VERY VERY S L O W L Y turn the tank back on. Try lighting it then, If all works you found the trouble, if not it may be a bad regulator. Manifolds don't just "go bad". Especially if you've don't nothing to them.
Larry,

The regulator is new but you know how that can be. I'll try swapping it out first and see if that is my issue thanks for the info.

Bobby

At first thought, I would say that the regulator would not be the problem if it only affects one burner, but now I am wondering if you are getting full flame from the burners that are working? What I am thinking is that maybe all the burners are being starved for gas and the one is off some how just enough to be hard to light with low fuel flow.
Fire up the burners in a semi dark area or after dusk and see what kind of flames you are getting.

Question is why would a Gen 1000 manifold not work on high but when you turn the knob to medium the burner lights up all along the tube? You turn it back to high and the flame goes away. Happening on the center and rear burners, the front burner does fine.

Bobby
What Bobby is describing is a valve that works at one power level (med) but not other power levels. And there is one valve that works perfectly at all levels. I think there are blocked orifice(s) on the affected valves.

Is this the valve type that has the low/med/high detents or is it continuous low to high? If it is the detent type could it be plugged at the high position and not at the medium? I don’t know how they work so maybe someone who knows could explain it for me so I can learn. Thanks.

Bobby
Can you give us some background on how this all started please? (lots of details) Is this a grill you picked up to refurb and have no history of what was done to it?

Back