Gas prices going down... down, down, down.

I can remember 10 cents a gallon in the 1950's.
Mom would pull up to the pump and tell the attendant to put in a dollar's worth.

I remember the gas wars, I could fill my 67 Bug for $2.00.

I remember early '70's my first car was a used '64 Biscayne, gas was 50c. A 20 gal fill up was $10. Seems cheap BUT I was only making $3/hr while going to school so it was a big chunk of change. It's all relative.

I remember early '70's my first car was a used '64 Biscayne, gas was 50c. A 20 gal fill up was $10. Seems cheap BUT I was only making $3/hr while going to school so it was a big chunk of change. It's all relative.
I bought my first car in 1965, a used 1963 Impala.
My new lens was only about $400 less than that car. :(
Started working in surveying in 1966 for $2.50 an hour.
As I recall, bread was 25 cents a loaf, and ground beef was 50 cents per lb.

When Diane and I started dating, we'd go fill up my Datsun 510 then hit McDonald's for lunch - 2 hamburgers, 2 fries and 2 chocolate shakes. I got change (lots of it) back from a $5.00 bill....

When Diane and I started dating, we'd go fill up my Datsun 510 then hit McDonald's for lunch - 2 hamburgers, 2 fries and 2 chocolate shakes. I got change (lots of it) back from a $5.00 bill....
McD's probably was using auto potato peelers, and cutting their own fries at each location back then too.

Your $2.50an hour was double what I made making donuts at Mr. Donut in 1966 Bob.
I bought my first car in 1965, a used 1963 Impala.
My new lens was only about $400 less than that car. :(
Started working in surveying in 1966 for $2.50 an hour.
As I recall, bread was 25 cents a loaf, and ground beef was 50 cents per lb.

I wonder if the wildcatters are selling out?

Is it possible for big oil to be driving them out of business at these prices?

Back in the 60's, a person could mow many lawns for 25 cents worth.

Last edited:
Sams Club in Des Plaines IL was going for $1.42 this morning. It has been a real long time since we have had a price that low.

[h=1]Kansas gas station is first to sell gasoline below $1 a gallon[/h]Feb. 10, 2016 3:44 p.m

Drivers in Jetmore, Kan., are first in the nation to buy gasoline this year for less than $1 a gallon as retailers prepare for a "clearance sale" across the region.

Today's national average stands at $1.70 a gallon, down 22% from a year earlier, and nearly one-third of American retail stations are selling gasoline for less than $1.50, Patrick DeHaan, a Chicago-based senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy Organization, said in an interview on Bloomberg Radio.

Prices in the Midwest are tanking with regional supplies at the highest level since 1993. The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas in the Milwaukee-Waukesha market stood at $1.444 Wednesday, according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report.

In Kansas, a gallon of regular has slipped 28.3 cents in the past month to average $1.452 a gallon. In Jetmore, about 150 miles west of Wichita, Nusser Oil was offering regular gasoline for 99 cents a gallon on Wednesday, according to GasBuddy.

The prices are sinking as refiners buy Canadian crude for as little as $15 a barrel, DeHaan said. Western Canada Select, a heavy sour crude that is shipped to the Midwest, dropped to $13.85 a barrel at 2:02 p.m. New York time Wednesday.

"Refineries are churning out winter gasoline at a breakneck pace, and as we progress toward warmer weather, it's going to be trouble for refiners who are going to eventually need to get rid of that winter gasoline," DeHaan said. "So they're already starting what we're calling a clearance sale."

I was happy to get 20 gallons for 30 bucks today....
think the cost was 65¢ per gallon when I drove my '67 Olds Cutlass...

Back