Game Hens on the Rotisserie

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I try and keep a couple of these little guys in the freezer at all times. They're fun to cook and really tasty. I wanted to spin them on my new 26" Cajun Bandit rotisserie but they're just too small for the occasion. I want the maiden cook to be something that makes better use of all that real estate. So the Weber 22 got the call. Mashed potatoes and acorn squash sided things up. The squash isn't really a good match for a hot summer evening but it was all we had. We hadn't made our scramble to the grocery store in about a week and a half. It worked out OK.

I brined the hens for 4 hours in the Baby Briner.
DSC_3571 (Large).JPG

Got them secure on the spit after rinsing off the brine. A little salt and pepper did the trick.

DSC_3574 (Large).JPG

Made the make ahead potatoes earlier in the day. 2 lbs. Russets. Buttered and put on the grill.

DSC_3577 (Large).JPG

I wanted some grill marks on the squash so I did that earlier in the day. Got them on the grill later with a little butter for around 30 minutes.

DSC_3581 (Large).JPG

Everything came together nicely.

DSC_3584 (Large).JPG

DSC_3588 (Large).JPG

DSC_3593 (Large).JPG

Plated 'er up.

DSC_3597 (Large).JPG

Another fun dinner. The game hens were absolutely fabulous. Very moist. Squash didn't do too badly either on a very warm evening. Going to have to get back to work one of these days but I'm having too much fun! Thanks for looking everyone!

Everything looks fantastic, Cliff! I think I need to keep some hens in the freezer, too. I honestly never think to cook them!

Oh, and to keep my streak of spending your money going, I think I found the correct bit of protein for your new 26'er rotisserie......

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 5.09.07 PM.png

You can pick up this whole, boneless ribeye roast at Creekstone for a song! ;)

R

I try and keep a couple of these little guys in the freezer at all times. They're fun to cook and really tasty. I wanted to spin them on my new 26" Cajun Bandit rotisserie but they're just too small for the occasion. I want the maiden cook to be something that makes better use of all that real estate. So the Weber 22 got the call. Mashed potatoes and acorn squash sided things up. The squash isn't really a good match for a hot summer evening but it was all we had. We hadn't made our scramble to the grocery store in about a week and a half. It worked out OK.

View attachment 8165

Got them secure on the spit after rinsing off the brine. A little salt and pepper did the trick.

View attachment 8166

Made the make ahead potatoes earlier in the day. 2 lbs. Russets. Buttered and put on the grill.

View attachment 8167

I wanted some grill marks on the squash so I did that earlier in the day. Got them on the grill later with a little butter for around 30 minutes.

View attachment 8168

View attachment 8169

View attachment 8170

View attachment 8171

Plated 'er up.

View attachment 8172

Another fun dinner. The game hens were absolutely fabulous. Very moist. Squash didn't do too badly either on a very warm evening. Going to have to get back to work one of these days but I'm having too much fun! Thanks for looking everyone!

View attachment 8165

View attachment 8166

View attachment 8167

View attachment 8168

View attachment 8169

View attachment 8170

View attachment 8171

Plated 'er up.

View attachment 8172

You can pick up this whole, boneless ribeye roast at Creekstone for a song! ;)
Provided that song has hit #1 and gone platinum...;)

The hens look great, Cliff! I'm going to have to try them on the rotisserie sometime.

Boy, you sure are having fun and burning a lot of coal. Some great cooks recently, those little birds look great as do all your cooks.

Nicely done. Nothing like BBQ Rotisserie. Do you normally do a 3-zone when running the rotisserie?

Cliff, your cook looks perfect and while this is not the moral of the story--if memory serves--you're the one who turned my head toward the Briner. Maybe because we live in a rural area much of the meat we eat comes from our chest freezer and I've used that sucker over the past 3 years like a fish drinks water :)

Back