Gai Yahng (Thai Grilled Chicken with Sweet Chile Sauce)

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Wizard
The Saveur summer grilling issue arrived recently - There's always a few interesting things in it - This year there's a recipe for Gai Yahng. The recipe looked OK, I was more intrigued by the technique they use to cook the chickens, as shown in this picture. The birds are cooked at high temperature, but up away from the fire to maintain good color. I figured cooking on the WSM lower rack with no pan would do the trick, so I gave it a shot. It went down like this:

9119227906_9aa6101af8.jpg

I like to brine my chickens, so i did my basic brine of salt, sugar, lemon garlic, pepper - For the Gai Yahng, I tossed in a bunch of cilantro.

9116999181_311996f2cc_c.jpg

After brining, I picked up the recipe with the marinade. I spatchcocked the fella and tied it up. This chicken was not going to escape!

9116998727_dda6d8c3b2_c.jpg

9119226446_bbb3b2144f_c.jpg

I cranked up the heat, added some peach wood, and let the WSM do its thing.

9117189893_46183aabe5_c.jpg

We didn't eat it that night, so no plated shots, but here's the done product - It was very flavorful, the color seemed right, and it was a fun cook - what more can you ask for!​

Nice job on the bird, color looks real good, much better then the drummies I'm makin, love the tie job, need to keep that in mind for the future

Nicely done, Peter! That chicken looks like it had been doing some serious yoga in your WSM before hitting your dinner plate :)

Thanks everyone -

a plateful!!
Awesome Cook Peter! I tellya, the WSM without the waterpan makes chicken UNBELIEVABLY FANTASTIC!!!

Dang, I thought I'd come up with some great new technique! Should have figured... - and I'm certainly going to mess around with it going forward.

Chicken looks really good. What is the benefit cooking chicken this way?

I think the idea is, you can cook the chicken at a high temperature, while minimizing flare ups or the chance of burning the skin. It really works well.

Back