Full Packer Brisket -- To Separate The Point From The Flat Or Not

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
I would like to get the collective wisdom from this wonderful forum. I have cooked many full packer briskets and have never separated the point from the flat before smoking them. Was watching a few youtube video's about trimming the briskets and many of them are talking about separating before cooking. Most of the cooks we see on the forum show the brisket not being separated before cooking so I thought it would be interesting to hear pros and cons for each approach. Thanks for any input.

Look up all things BBQ competition brisket, that's how I do it much happier with the results after separating

Thanks for the advice. I always cook my full packers whole but when watching some youtube videos on trimming briskets, they all seem to separate the point from the flat. Made me think if any of the other backyard smokers here do that and if they like it better.

Not having done brisket (too much $$$ in these parts), I would suggest you try separating once and see if you like it. Since everyone's taste is different, I think that's the only way you'll know for sure. After all, you do try diff rubs don't you? Some you like, some you don't. BUT I've always found that the meat is still totally edible ;) when smoked :)

ESPECIALLY if folks do it both ways and find it to their liking.

Two separate muscles, both different in their construction and the way they cook.

Why should they be cooked together?

This is interesting to me because sitting in my freezer is a 24" long brisket that isn't going to fit very well on my 18.5 WSM. I know about the foiled brick under it until it shrinks down some when it cooks.
I have smoked a couple of flats that came out exceptionally well. I've had brisket that's been kept whole also and I really couldn't tell any difference between my flats and the whole brisket.
So to make things easier I was going to cut off the point and cook it on the other rack.
I'm anxious to read what those who do a lot of briskets have to say about separating the point from the flat.

Yep, I always cook them whole because that's the point for cooking a packer brisket.
But I'm also in for trying something new and different, and one of the four packers sitting in my deep freeze is going under the knife.:wsm:

Tim

I think I will have to try separating them as a test to see how it goes. Thanks to all for the input so far. Would love to hear from those that have done it both ways. As my WSM is a 22, space is not an issue.

Either way would be fine. I've always cooked a Packer whole as I usually make burnt ends with the point. After resting I separate the point from the flat and and cube the point. I either return them to a pan with sauce and let them go another hour and a half of so or bag them, freeze and save for another day. I'm usually tired at the end of a brisket cook and everyone is hungry so I usually go the freezer route. It's just nice having the point go along for the 12 hour ride with the flat. Gives a nice jump start when you do decide to use them.

Back