From Drab to Fab - Putting together a "How-To" Restoration Guide

Welcome Craig! Looking forward to seeing the results of your restoration. The frame appears to be in great shape. The handle looks rough. The end caps look to be in the usual condition for an older grill.

Hello Bruce/Forum members
Just about ready to buy my 1x2 cedar and cut to 15 1/4 “ pieces for side tables and under the cook box on my 1100. Any advice on number of coats of stain and varnish? I plan on using honey minwax and spray varnish. Also any advice on how to make the spacing process easy and even during reassembly? Thank you! Robert

I would suggest you consider a finish for the wood that is made for outdoor use such as a Spar varnish. Regular minwax varnish or polyeurothane won't hold up too well to the elements.

The spacing of the boards is a kind of guessing game to get them even on the ends and then even with each gap. No real help there.

The top drawer spar varnish is probably McCloskey's Man-O-War, a marine-grade spar. I am sure Helmsman or other major brand of spar varnish will work decently, however.

Also any advice on how to make the spacing process easy and even during reassembly?

I will be doing this again this weekend for a Jr and a 3000 that I am working on and can snap
a few pics to post as a visual - new box of 5/16 wood screws on the way from Amazon

I take a handful of coins out of my change dish on my dresser -
lay out the slats and z-bars upside down, and put an equal amount
of coins on each end between each slat, then stabilize with a bar clamp.
That should make things very easy.

I will be doing this again this weekend for a Jr and a 3000 that I am working on and can snap
a few pics to post as a visual - new box of 5/16 wood screws on the way from Amazon

I take a handful of coins out of my change dish on my dresser -
lay out the slats and z-bars upside down, and put an equal amount
of coins on each end between each slat, then stabilize with a bar clamp.
That should make things very easy.

Thank you Dave!

Hello All,

I just replaced the propane hose on my 90's Genesis 1100. I screwed it into the brass elbow fitting under my manifold. When I did a soap test, I found a leak here. The factory brass elbow is cracked. Can I just get a new one at a hardware store or is it a specialty item? Just because I was curious, I carefully tried to screw in my hose directly into the manifold in it appears to fit. I did not screw it all the way in as I did not want to screw anything up. Can this be bypassed or should I get a new fitting? I don't have a newer style propane hose end.

Thanks all!

Robert

You can screw that directly into the manifold, but the elbow is on there to alleviate the strain on the hose that would occur if it points straight down. The elbow allows it to run more directly to the tank.

They are not specialty. I am pretty sure I have a couple if you cannot find one but I think they are readily available online.

Thank you very much I will try that. On a sidenote do you happen to know the size of the screws to hold the wood slats into the Z bars? Thank you

Not sure. I have bought some but I dont remember the exact size. I just took an old one to the store and matched it. But, I would suggest paying an extra buck or two and getting stainless.

Hello Dave thank you. You mentioned 5/16 wood screws . I assume these are to hold the wood slats to the Z-bar correct? if so is there a particular length?. I need to go out today and buy the screws. The screws that I took out , believe it or not, were a mixture of different screws. I’m just anxious to get the right size thank you very much

Hello Dave thank you. You mentioned 5/16 wood screws . I assume these are to hold the wood slats to the Z-bar correct? if so is there a particular length?.

They were 5/16 inch long.

aleYT0ul.jpg

This is the pic I had meant to post last week.
8 pennies on each end, between each slat.

So Dave, that is 80 cents worth of pennies. They got rid of the pennies here in Canada to save money. Somehow me having to use $4 of nickels is not saving money. lol
Great idea and I will be using it for sure. Thanks.

Hello Dave any advice on the staining and varnishing process? I sanded and stained successfully. I applied the first coat of spar varnish which went great until I flipped it over and some of the spar varnish dripped under the underside. Now every side looks great except the underside there are stains from the varnish. I’m going to try and sand that off but off comes the stain in the process! Do you have any advice on how to apply varnish with the brush without getting any on the bottom? Thank you

I personally wouldn't worry much about the bottoms of the slats as long as they get well protected with the spar. The bottoms really don't show.

Back