Fresh garlic substitutes

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I don't always have fresh garlic, I know shame on me. What are you go to second and third choices?

I buy and freeze the Costco large fresh garlic bag. I always keep a 1 cup Rubbermaid container of this garlic in the fridge so I always have fresh garlic on hand. And when I finish that cup, I defrost more in the container in the fridge. Been doing this for many years and it works just fine.

I buy and freeze the Costco large fresh garlic bag. I always keep a 1 cup Rubbermaid container of this garlic in the fridge so I always have fresh garlic on hand. And when I finish that cup, I defrost more in the container in the fridge. Been doing this for many years and it works just fine.
Never thought to freeze garlic.

I freeze ginger.

I always buy jars of minced garlic for making various recipes, I really don't bother with fresh garlic for some reason. I also keep a jar of granulated garlic on hand at all times. An interesting story about minced garlic is that I was going to buy a jar of it at our Jewel grocery store one time and pulled a jar of it off the shelf. It had to me a funny color to it so I read the label: Made in China. I put it back on the shelf and walked away, no thanks!

Never thought to freeze garlic.

I freeze ginger.
If you haven’t already, try my oven dehydrated ginger method and then run it through a blender. My dried ginger had nearly the same flavor as fresh (but fresh is always more intense). I found I wasn’t using the frozen ginger as much, thus I moved to dried.

But fresh ginger keeps for a while in the fridge so I pretty much always have fresh on hand.

I also keep a jar of granulated garlic on hand at all times.

Always. Sometimes I use it in a marinade to thicken it up, whereas moist minced garlic won't do that.

I just did a batch of chicken quarters (on the left of the grill) with nothing on their dry skin but garlic and onion powder. Adds to the skin crispiness. Simple recipe for guests who want to avoid sugar in their marinades.

20221111_122422.jpg

I grow my own. Its really easy and takes up a small space.

Right now is the time to plant, but getting bulbs to plant is a problem. I order mine in the spring for delivery in October.

Sorry, I have returned to the “Use Fresh” school, the jarred stuff is just “off” enough for me to prefer mincing fresh. Dried is great for some things but, I use 4-6 heads of garlic a week, I just do it. If I get to a point where I find chopping garlic is too much work, I’ll just start going to friggin’ Olive Garden! Then, come home and feel awful for hours.

Sorry, I have returned to the “Use Fresh” school, the jarred stuff is just “off” enough for me to prefer mincing fresh. Dried is great for some things but, I use 4-6 heads of garlic a week, I just do it. If I get to a point where I find chopping garlic is too much work, I’ll just start going to friggin’ Olive Garden! Then, come home and feel awful for hours.

does it all and makes fast work of getting garlic into the recipe.

yes, fresh is best. but i do like my frozen bag of fresh garlic. same great flavor and no waste from "old" bulbs.

does it all and makes fast work of getting garlic into the recipe.

yes, fresh is best. but i do like my frozen bag of fresh garlic. same great flavor and no waste from "old" bulbs.
Probably sound advice but, I’ve got “good” knives and learned good technique so, a press would just seem to take up valuable (TINY) kitchen space. I like the frozen clove method, I need to explore that.

I use a Microplane and love it. My issue is when I buy a head of garlic and it’s all small cloves. So I keep cracking the head open to find decent sized cloves. I refuse to peel the small ones so I wind up with maybe 3-4 decent ones. 😢 Sometimes I buy pre-peeled because you can see how big they are. If they are small at least I don’t have to peel it 😂

How do you freeze the fresh garlic?

I guess I'm asking. In what container?
Do you leave the garlic as is? Or peel it before freezing?

How do you freeze the fresh garlic?

I guess I'm asking. In what container?
Do you leave the garlic as is? Or peel it before freezing?
The Costco Christopher ranch I believe, comes peeled whole cloves. I take out some and container them in the fridge and literally zip close the bag it came in and freeze it. Nothing special. Just the same bag it came in. Simple and easy.

Granulated or dehydrated minced work well in most recipes. I keep both on hand. About the only things I use fresh for are garlic bread and pizza.

Back