Freezing Meat - What Do You Think

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

What are your opinions on freezing meat? We just got a freezer from a friend and I've thrown a few things into it to free up my fridge. I have an ingrained bias about freezing meat handed down from my father but, like many things, this stigma seems to have lessened over time. I've heard Alton Brown discuss flash freezing but I don't have that option with big cuts. What are your experiences with frozen vs.fresh.

Also, do you smoke from frozen? I might think you can with something smaller like ribs but I can't see that working with a Butt. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

James

James, lots of caterers freeze cooked bbq all the time to pull out for an event. The biggest thing it to be sure to cool the meat down quickly and sufficiently before freezing. I'd never slice a brisket flat ahead of time, but it doesn't matter much for butts or br. points, and most will argue you gotta pull the butt before freezing to get it to cool down. Foodsavers are a big plus in getting the air out of bags for longer freezer life and thawing out in big pots of hot water. As to flavor, I know that pork does lose some, but maybe beef not as much.

As to cooking meat out of the freezer, just be sure to get it out soon enough for it to thaw. I like to get stuff out a week in advance, but usually only stick ribs in the freezer, when I catch 'em on sale around the typical holidays.
Poultry is probably the only one where you might notice a difference in fresh vs. frozen.

Thanks Dave. I haven't yet ever had to freeze any cooked meat from the smoker but you bring up another good point. I can see freezing pulled (or un-pulled) pork, brisket and other meatier pieces but I don't think I'd freeze cooked ribs (unless I was planning to make a stew).

My prime focus now is whether anyone has noticed a flavour or texture difference smoking thawed meat vs. fresh.

James

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
but I can't see that working with a Butt.
James </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've seen many posts of people smoking frozen butts. Never did it myself, but they say it's ok to do and it works. Do a search for frozen butts and you'll see. Here's one comment. There are many to search.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...040011945#7040011945

James,

I'm a big fan of throwing a frozen butt on the WSM. One primary reason: I'm not necesarily available to do an overnighter when butts go on sale. So, I just buy them, freeze them, then throw them on and not worry about planning ahead to thaw. Just be sure to use mustard so the rub can stick.

Thanks Dave & Jim. I've read a few posts about cooking butts from frozen but never really thought about doing it. Any idea what a traditional size butt (8-10lbs) would take per hour from frozen?

James

Most of the butts I buy are 7-8 lbs. Thawed, (if memory serves) I would average 12-14 hours, sometimes a bit more. Frozen, they take another hour or two. But it varies. I've had frozen ones go 13, and one that went 17.

I came across a good sale on butts and picked up 12 of them. Froze them all and cooked them 3 at a time on the WSM. We did not notice a difference between the fresh. Very forgiving piece of meat in so many respects.

I usually pick up all my meats when on sale and freeze them for later cooking with very little noticable difference. Perhaps a bit of a loss in juiciness.

Cooked meats Ive frozen are ribs...freeze whole or half racks to thaw later and finish on the grill. Also pulled pork in foodsaver bags for reheating.

Are you guys pulling frozen butts out of a deep freeze or just a regular freezer. My butts are a lot more frozen when they come out of my freezer. They take a lot longer to unthaw than when I pull them out of the freeze that's part of my refrigerator.

When I was an army cook,cooking from the frozen state was one of two approved thawing processes. The other was in the fridge for three days before we cooked it. But we also cooked at a higher heat. If it works for y'all,go for it!

Back