Free sample of Weber briquettes

Got mine yesterday, very nice sample. Now I have three new charcoals to try that I've never used, RO, Stubbs and the Weber sample.

100_0290_zpsvhvfb9ms.jpg

Finally got a bag delivered today. :)

Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but the cat took a liking to the box. (does that count for anything?)

Does anyone here shop at Publix?
I ask because they sell Barbeque Wood Flavors charcoal, and I'm pretty sure BWF bags it for Weber.
It apparently only comes in 8.3 lb bags, but I can't find the price at Publix online.
http://www.publix.com/pd/barbeque-wood-flavors-hardwood-briquets-100-natural/RIO-PCI-174956

I'm curious what the price is, and if it is the same stuff.

944936-75x75-A.jpg

$3.49 at Charlotte area Publix locations, Bob.

Also found this...

https://www.bbqwf.com/

EDIT: Doesn't Weber make / bag their own briquettes?

EDIT 2: Just got off the phone with Weber, and they say their charcoal is made by Royal Oak. :confused:

Last edited:
Odd that they now say it's made by RO when they wouldn't answer the question before.
Reasons for thinking it's made by BFW:
A member here saw bags of BFW at a Weber Restaurant before they came out the their own brand.
The description of it sounds the same as theirs.
It also comes in a plastic bag, the only two brands that I know of that do.

If it is made by RO maybe it's like their Chef's Select stuff, only without the ridges.
The earlier version of RO CS didn't have them.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/838136

I'm headed in the direction of a Publix store today, so I will pick up a bag of BFW and see how it compares.

Publix is fairly new in this area; are there no Publix locations in eastern Missouri?

I'm headed in the direction of a Publix store today, so I will pick up a bag of BFW and see how it compares.

Publix is fairly new in this area; are there no Publix locations in eastern Missouri?
Cool, I'd like to see a side by side pic/comparison.

Nope, they're only in the SE USA.

I remember seeing their listing in Consumer Reports many times, and for some reason I thought Publix originated in the far west. (shows how much I know)

Florida is famous in these parts for another grocery chain called Winn-Dixie. However, the company hit hard times about 20 years ago, and closed many locations in the mid-Atlantic region. Bought many a sirloin tip from the Beef People (WD nickname).

Cool, I'd like to see a side by side pic/comparison.

Bob, I took some shots, but I don't have a chosen photo hosting site enabled yet. :(

I can tell you this much, they look very much alike. They appear to have the same shape, size, color, and similar compression cracks (for lack of better words). These coals are also made in Mexico, and they claim to have no fillers, or mineral coal.

Thanks for the update Rusty!
Now I'm expecting a test burn between the two including light up time, smoke amount, heat produced, burn duration, and ash amount. Just kidding of course.
I'm sure both will work well, but we may never know for sure if they are the same.

I thought I still had some of the old style RO Chef's Select to compare, but so far have not found them.
If you saw our messy garage you would understand why. :)

$3.49 at Charlotte area Publix locations, Bob.

Make that $4.99 instead.

The manager gave the bag to me for free after finding out I was quoted the wrong price over the phone.

Now I'm expecting a test burn between the two including light up time, smoke amount, heat produced, burn duration, and ash amount.

I might try a test of sorts.

Last edited:
Bob, I grilled some 80% burgers, Friday, with leftover lump and new BWF coals, and the burgers were very good indeed. Kingsford makes for good burgers, but it can also impart a strong charcoally flavor that has turned off a few folks I know. I did not detect that flavor with BWF. The next time I grill burgers, I'll try BWF only. If Weber restaurants is using these coals, they must be good, or either they are getting them dirt cheap? Maybe both.

The next time I grill burgers, I'll try BWF only. If Weber restaurants is using these coals, they must be good, or either they are getting them dirt cheap? Maybe both.

I did just that (porterhouse instead of burgers), and the meat came out great.

One thing I noticed, though, is that BWF coals popped sparks like lump while in the chimney starter. Another thing I noticed, which is somewhat disappointing, is the extinguished leftover coals broke apart rather easily - which made it difficult to harvest them for future cooks. Has anyone experienced this with Weber coals?

Today, I used all Weber coals (except for a smattering of leftover BWF in the bottom of the chimney starter) to grill corn, chicken kabobs, and sausages. Weber coals held up well, and generated a decent amount of heat. Unfortunately, every time I removed the kettle lid, ash got on the food. I don't recall that problem with other coal brands, and the weird part about it, the ash pan had less ash than from most other brands (after cleanup).

Not sure what to make of this outside of gently removing the kettle lid next time. Other than that, I was satisfied. Extinguished coals did not beak apart like the BWF coals did either. I think I'll use Kingsford and maybe Royal Oak briquettes for direct grilling, and save the Weber coals and Royal Oak lump for smoking.

Back