Found this down the street, so I wheeled it home

Having just this year switched to the new burner orientation after 20 years with the original, I think you will really like it when you do indirect cooking. If a rotisserie is not primary to you, it is a superior orientation. Fix it up.

Dang. Grates were supposed to be delivered today, and they were out for delivery by the post office, but I just checked again and they are now back at the post office. Guess the post persons shift ended before he could deliver to me. Bummer.

That is interesting. I wonder why they don't make them for the earlier Silver B's and 1000s?
$105 seems like a pretty good price with free shipping. I am still glad that I sprung for my RCP grates though.
Cause my guess is like us getting old why bother how many are around at this point and they already make 7MM grates for those anyway. Michael alot of us have the QM grates including myself quality product as you noted if you could live with the 7MM that seems to be a good price under 47 bucks obviously you wanted the better grates but those are a good find for people who own those grills and don't care about the thicker grates. I have had my QM grates for over 3 years now I think no issues with them at all.

how do these compare to David aka rcplanebuyer's ss grates? ( planning for the eventual demise of my cast iron grates )

edit: I thought his were 3/8 which would be 9.5mm ?
I recently got a set of the Qlimetal 9mm grates from a resale on Facebook Marketplace. I knew I was taking a risk, so I wasn’t surprised they were both well out of square. A number of reviews of new purchases on Amazon say the same thing. I managed to get them pretty close by just using a hammer. Whether that happened in shipping somewhere along the way or they left the factory crooked, who knows…

The Qlimetal grates are 304 stainless and the stated thickness. Pretty nice and impressive looking (once straightened). I do think Dave Santana’s (rcplanebuyer) would have better workmanship. While I may have heard of one incident where a set of his went out of square in shipping, that would be rare and you know he would help you through that or replace them.

It comes down to money, but if this for a keeper and you can afford Dave’s you will not be disappointed. If you are just wanting to flip, I would use aftermarket 7mm. I bought the Qlimetal 9mm for a flip because the price was right and I wanted to examine a set for myself. Most buyers would only notice that grates were new and decent looking, which a good 7mm set would deliver.

Usps just delivered the 9mm grates. Package pretty much destroyed from delivery. Grates are a little out of alignment, but they connect well and reach the lip on front and back. No wobble either. Sill, I am going to reach out to QuilMetal on them. Looking back at my purchase, looks like these came out to $82 after a promotion they had. So not bad for that, but wish they were perfect.

Attachments

• 491D3D1E-DD5B-4EAF-9B9A-5521713E2644.jpeg
    491D3D1E-DD5B-4EAF-9B9A-5521713E2644.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 30C01B1B-15DE-4797-BAE8-46CBC7AF8D8C.jpeg
    30C01B1B-15DE-4797-BAE8-46CBC7AF8D8C.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 28
Usps just delivered the 9mm grates. Package pretty much destroyed from delivery. Grates are a little out of alignment, but they connect well and reach the lip on front and back. No wobble either. Sill, I am going to reach out to QuilMetal on them. Looking back at my purchase, looks like these came out to $82 after a promotion they had. So not bad for that, but wish they were perfect.
The look pretty good from here!

They look perfect in the pics. If they do not sit flat, they might after you heat them up and put some weight on them.

You guys know more about this stuff then I do. If they looks good to you all, and they do look good. I am happy. Now to start making stuff!!!

Damn. Just tried to make some burgers, and the grill pretty much was full of flames.

Not sure if all the new part just needed a longer burn in or what.

I think I had excess oil on the grates. Tried oiling the grates this time since they were new, but I feel now that was a bad idea. Hopefully that was it.

Last edited:
You know those GrillGrates do a really good job suppressing flames. Kind of like adding a second layer of flav bars like on the old deep cook boxes.

Just did a full grill load of chicken thighs and legs for dinner tonight at about 425F. Including some sticky teriyaki sauce. Zero flare ups over the course of a one hour cook.

Since there’s no flare ups, there’s no need to leave half the grill empty as with direct/indirect.

So I was going to replace my burner tubes today, but I wanted to check something as soon as I started. On my spirit, I did not remove the burner tube screws. On this Genesis, the instructions say to do so. I don’t see, due to the condition of the current screws, that is possible. Do these have to be removed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 10
No, they SHOULD NOT be removed. They are fused into the box and if you try, you are likely to twist them off. They are simply holding brackets for your burners.

Oh, it looks like you have a newer Genesis. I am not positive on them, but I think it is the same....Don't try to remove them until you find out for sure.

No, they SHOULD NOT be removed. They are fused into the box and if you try, you are likely to twist them off. They are simply holding brackets for your burners.

Oh, it looks like you have a newer Genesis. I am not positive on them, but I think it is the same....Don't try to remove them until you find out for sure.
I am 99.9% sure they will disintegrate if I try. Maybe I can loosen or remove the manifold to get them to slide out.

Back