Fork in the Road: Do I Become a Kettle Collector or a Kettle Flipper?

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
Every day I spend a few minutes perusing CL, FB Marketplace, Offerup and Letgo for Webers. I am mainly looking for a SS framed Genesis Platinum. A never-cooked-on, chocolate, J code (1987) 18.5" one touch showed up on Offerup for $40. I snagged it.

YTgUEez.jpg

VttblRH.jpg

JmegJ4Z.jpg

MejbQlW.jpg

It was assembled when new and never used. It was stored mostly in a garage in Orange County. It's not pristine. The triangle shows some surface rust that should clean up. I think there is a bump or two from getting jostled in the garage. All the documentation was stored inside the grill and its is terrific condition other than an empty spider egg sac in the registration card. The grates are perfect.

So do I clean it up and resell it? If so, any idea how much it would fetch? Or do I clean it up, never use it and keep it as a collectible?

I love my non-Weber charcoal grill, and anyway, I could not bring myself to cook on an unused 33 year old Weber. Keeping it would be difficult, but not impossible. For the time being it is in the garage at my office. I have no room to keep it out of the elements long term at home. My DW would think I'm a hoarder if I brought it home for good with no intention of cooking on it.

Was it a good buy, or are the vintage 18.5s not as desirable as the 22s?

Any thoughts or ideas about what I should do with it?

Another perspective... my eldest Son was born in '87 and if I had been privileged to stumble upon your find I'd keep it for life :)

I think eBay would be your best bet. You'd just have to figure out a good way to pack and ship it. I'm sure a collector would pay good money for that

I would have "snagged" it too. I need another kettle like I need a hole in the head but I would have jumped on it. The only 18" I have is my Jumbo Joe and I'd use this guy for special occasions etc. I definitely would not flip it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it, and the only cleaning is maybe using a damp cloth.
For selling on eBay, I'd get a good idea what shipping would cost to the east coast, charge that amount, and start the bidding for at least $300.
If it sells, it sells, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Then go to plan B, whatever that might be.

J, I would say you got a winner there. I agree with Dave and others that with a nice cleaning - nothing severe - it would probably fetch a good price on eBay. Especially given its provenance, a collector would certainly be interested. Of course, YOU may want to be that collector! I wouldn't blame you. It is pretty easy to fall into a kettle collecting frenzy...So many colors and styles! Check out this guy's collection:

jITpyJp.jpg

I bought a pretty nice 18" kettle a few months ago that I couldn't resist. I already have this restored 1974 18" in my office on display:

QbRrfex.jpg

So, the idea behind this somewhat newer one was to make it look nice but the USE it! Well, now it is also all cleaned up and I am finding it hard to break down and put it into service

DK1Phuk.jpg

dnEdRQK.jpg

MdJcnTc.jpg

My wife says I should have been a museum curator. She is probably right. All I can say is to try and set a reasonable goal for collecting and make a deal with yourself that after that something has to go before something else is added:rolleyes:! Good luck with that.

List it local pickup only on ebay if it was a 22" you could not pry that away from me but an 18" not so much. I guarantee if you list it the friends on the other forum will get wind of it might get a bit of a bidding war. Good luck with it really beautiful find.

18-inchers get a bit of a bad rap, but my "Large" Big Green Egg is that size. As I admitted, all I have done with my two 18s so far is to LOOK at them. However, others who use then rave that they bbq very well and are stingy on charcoal.

Nothing wrong with an 18" but if you like to doing wings for many like I do just not enough real estate and I really don't find the 22 to eat that much charcoal but again no experience with the 18" and by the way if I can find a 26" to add to the arsenal for parties and such that will be the next grill I get.

Nothing wrong with an 18" but if you like to doing wings for many like I do just not enough real estate and I really don't find the 22 to eat that much charcoal but again no experience with the 18" and by the way if I can find a 26" to add to the arsenal for parties and such that will be the next grill I get.

You need to buy this one from me:

YxM0jbR.jpg

wcUxy5B.jpg

o8IHur5.jpg

Jon the shipping would kill it why would you sell a 26 are those the killa grates really a beautiful grill.

PM me on it done crazier things wish you were closer.

Last edited:
Personally, I would try to keep it or trade it for something you are looking for. I wouldn't doubt if there is someone who picked up a Genesis for a killer deal like you did that 18. It is pretty cool that it is unused, but I doubt it brings a crazy price given that it is an 18.

I think Bill has the right idea, hang on and see what comes along to nibble at the bait. You might find someone that has something that you would find much more personally useful!

I'm so jealous of the guys finding nice ones for cheap. Ever since i restored my first kettle which was just so we could use it, i've been searching for another project. However everyone around here seems to want top dollar for junk (probably why they won't sell). I'm hoping this spring will bring about some curb findings.

Go over to Weber Kettle Club Forum and purruse there for a while and decide if you are up for that sort of collection.

I would sell it to a collector. I like grills. I like grilling. I don't see the point of a grill I can't use. If I were "collecting" I'd collect a few crazy colors and cook on a bunch. However, even that doesn't appeal too much. Once you got a good charcoal grill, a good smoker, a good gas grill.... be happy and cook. You can look into better versions,but the appeal of an old kettle that you don't have history with, and you can't cook on is small to me.

Nice Grab! As Chris said, go to the WKC site and hang around a bit to see what collecting is about and how much it might fetch. If you sell it quickly you might regret it. It will not lose value so take your time. Weberitis is a bad disease though! (15 and counting) lol

Good Luck

Richard

Back