For those who have smoked a brisket on a 18 WSM.....

Fritz

How many pounds before trimming will fit?
Did you inject? With what?
How much charcoal were you able to fit in the ring? (I'll be using Kingsford Blue) And what/how much wood did you use?
Any after market charcoal rings or hacks to enlarge capacity?
How long did it last before replenishing fuel?
And what is the best method to replenish coals?

I've never attempted a long cook before and from reading I'm expecting a 12-19 hour cook based on 1-1.5 hrs/# at 225-250. To be honest, its the running out of fuel in the middle of the cook and having to replenishing it that has kept me from taking this on. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

How many pounds before trimming will fit?
Did you inject? With what?
How much charcoal were you able to fit in the ring? (I'll be using Kingsford Blue) And what/how much wood did you use?
Any after market charcoal rings or hacks to enlarge capacity?
How long did it last before replenishing fuel?
And what is the best method to replenish coals?

I've never attempted a long cook before and from reading I'm expecting a 12-19 hour cook based on 1-1.5 hrs/# at 225-250. To be honest, its the running out of fuel in the middle of the cook and having to replenishing it that has kept me from taking this on. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I extended my ring with expanded metal. $10. Holds about 50% more than stock, will run 20-24 hrs on my ATC.
I have to knock ash down about 10-11 hrs. Happens about 7 hrs in with just stock ring.

You can fit about any under 18 lb. Just put a piece of wood under center for a couple of hours. Then the meat shrinks up and fits better.

I don't replenish coals....but when I did, I just lift the whole shell off and put it aside, dump a new half chimney of coals on the fire then put the shell back on.

A0lv3Kq6_o.jpg

Last edited:
... That's a lot of questions.
I am going to suggest not using the water pan filled with water, this will use more fuel.
Don't peek. Every time you open the lid you lose heat. More time to finish the cook, more fuel gets consumed.
Russell

222-250 is a little low for me. I would shoot for 275+ which will shorten cook time. Many people prefer the high heat method which is 300+ and is an option.

I extended my ring with expanded metal. $10. Holds about 50% more than stock, will run 20-24 hrs on my ATC.
I have to knock ash down about 10-11 hrs. Happens about 7 hrs in with just stock ring.

How were you able to suspend the additional ring half way up your existing ring? I like what you did with this. Is half mounted inside and the other half outside the ring?

I'm just a beginner but I use lump coal, seems to last longer but I have still had to add fuel on long cooks. I have read where some people light more briquettes and then add them. I have just added unlit lump to the existing coals, I'm not sure if that is a good way to go or not. I use a controller and after I add more lump the temp does drop for a while but come back up in a few minutes. Like I said I'm a beginner so take what I said with a grain of salt.

A0lv3Kq6_o.jpg

Good idea!

How were you able to suspend the additional ring half way up your existing ring? I like what you did with this. Is half mounted inside and the other half outside the ring?

Friction. Perfect fit, it doesnt move
But you could use little screws or something too to rest on.

I had expected to bend little tabs out of screen, but didnt need to. And i would have made grate handles( for shaking coals) an inch or two higher if had made screen extension first. Actually why i put it at that kevel, so could get fingers around handle to lift out. But at 20+ hrs its enough. I never add coals. Always have plenty left. Even after a brisket. No pile that spills over edge of ring either..

To me, this is #1 mod to make. Whether make or buy, put in bigger coal ring. Just do it

Last edited:
Friction. Perfect fit, it doesnt move
But you could use little screws or something too to rest on.

I had expected to bend little tabs out of screen, but didnt need to. And i would have made grate handles( for shaking coals) an inch or two higher if had made screen extension first. Actually why i put it at that kevel, so could get fingers around handle to lift out. But at 20+ hrs its enough. I never add coals. Always have plenty left. Even after a brisket. No pile that spills over edge of ring either..

To me, this is #1 mod to make. Whether make or buy, put in bigger coal ring. Just do it

Great mod and i'm inspired.

The hardest part f your first look cook is committing to it.
I cook at 250 to 275 because it shortens the cook time with the same results. Wrapping the Brisket with Foil or Butcher Paper at 150-160 internal temp shortens cook time.
I have injected Brisket with Beef Broth.
I use a length of 8" dia. metal Ducting as a chute for adding lots of charcoal. Bolt it together at one end and flatten that end a little to fit under your water pan and leave the other end open to make a chute. A drain spade also work. I used the "hot squat" when I was younger and just pick up everything but the charcoal section and the stirred my coals and filled it up with new. That's real touchy if you have water in the pan.
If you fill it all the way up after 10 hours you should be able to finish the cook with only one reload. Hope this helps.

Have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :wsm:

I try to find briskets 13 to 15 LBS. I have a big green egg rib rack I drape it over to make it fit. Foil each end to keep the edges from burning.
I wrap them in pink butcher paper (foil works just fine too). I wrap it somewhere around the stall. After wrapping I throw it in the oven. There is really no need to leave it on the smoker while wrapped,and that way you don't have to worry about adding charcoal.
For inject/spray I take 2 cups beef broth and bring to a boil. throw in 2 bullion packets,and 2 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce and let it cool. For spraying I add a little vinegar,and a little apple juice can never hurt anything.
I put the fat down on the smoker and fat on top wrapped.
I try to cook at 275 both on smoker and in the oven. For wood I use apple and a little hickory. Don't overdo the wood. It will be fine if there isn't enough smoke. But if you use too much wood yo can't undo it

Last edited:
I've cooked 17 pounders on mine. Just wedge the ends under the handles of the grate. It will shrink and fit the grill in a few hours. As for adding fuel, I cook as 275-300 and wrap when the brisket gets to 160 or has the right color. Never had to add fuel.

Biggest I’ve done was about fourteen pounds, no water, no injection, almost a full bag, started at ten, added a couple dozen about nine AM, about eight chunks of cherry, no wrapping until removal to cooler (dbl foil, towels), had a martini, almost none left after slicing!
I completely agree with Lew, it’s not hard after you commit!
My first one member TonyUK told me “Just put your big boy pants on and light the fire.” I’ll be doing one next weekend.

You can fit about any under 18 lb. Just put a piece of wood under center for a couple of hours. Then the meat shrinks up and fits better.

I don't replenish coals....but when I did, I just lift the whole shell off and put it aside, dump a new half chimney of coals on the fire then put the shell back on.

A0lv3Kq6_o.jpg

Funny, the metal reenforcement mesh is exactly what I was originally thinking of doing. I didn't however, think about the handles to shake off the ash. I don't weld so I'll need to jerry rig something.

I have the large water pan. Will that interfere with 18lbs of coals?

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
You know, I do my ribs at that and was thinking of doing the same. I think I will now since I've heard and seen so many doing with great results. And it lessens the cook. Thanks!

I really like the expanded metal modification! I’m thinking I might go pick up a piece tomorrow! The handle mod, might be a little more involved, “homey, don’t weld.”
No time to try to get that done before next weekend! Still working on a couple of other things as well.

Last edited:

A0lv3Kq6_o.jpg

Hi Was the expanded metal 24 x12 size? Would the 24 x 12 size work on a WSM 22"?
Thanks Dan

Back