? for Jim Lampe and Bob Correll (and other pork masters!)

I'm flattered Mike, but sometimes I get the pig, sometimes the pig gets me!

Either device would be fine, but like Dave, I'd probably go with the kettle.
The snake method on a kettle helps keep the temps under control.
I assume you're wanting to have pulled pork, and not just a big pork steak?
and if Bob Correll is flattered, Mike, imagine how I feel....! :eek:
Bob's correct, either will work great, however, I would do it on the WSM. And I would serve it as a pork steak.
In fact, my intentions for this Monday Memorial Day cook is exactly that.
I have 1.5 inch thick pork steaks and the plan is to "grill" them on the 18" WSM for hours, then direct with sauce to finish.
Mike, at 250ºF with no waterpan in place, using the snake method sounds like the way to go.
butt.... that's just me.

Mike.
Use the charcoal rails on both sides of the drip pan, and fill that with water.
Add enough un-lit on both sides to barely come up to the top of the rails.
Then spread equally a 1/4 or so of a lit chimney on both sides.
If you can catch the temps on the way up like the WSM, by either completely shutting the bottom vent, or as said up-thread squeezing the top vent, you should be able to hold whatever target temp you like.
Let us know how it turned out:)

Tim

Mike, I think with your experience and the advice of some of the grizzled vets here, you're in for a most pleasant surprise :) don't forget to share....your pics that is :)

Thanks for the replies Jim and Tim, and the vote of confidence Gene! I would like it to be like pulled pork, but it just might wind up more like a thick pork steak. I'm thinking of going with the kettle on this one - as much for a learning experience as for a good meal. I'm going with the snake method, but the drip pan will be on the grill, with the "pork steak" on a small rack on top of the drip pan.

But since I have two of these, I am probably doing this bass-ackwards - the one I'm doing tomorrow (2.26#) is the larger of the two. The other one is 1.86#... that's the one I should probably do on the kettle, and do the larger one on the WSM. I'm going to mull this over tonight (kettle vs. WSM) and decide in the morning. However it turns out, it's PORK! It just cain't be bad!

Thanks everyone for all of the input! I'm planning on pictures - if they tell a story, I'll post 'em. If they don't, well....

Mike, another tip for lower temps on a kettle is to foil the grill-area under the meat. I can't explain the science, but it works.

I used bricks tonight with foil on the cool/meat side. I had some zucchinni and Cajun Boudin with some apple and cherry wood. I had it down near 200 to 250 on my kettle for quite a while, got some smoke on, and then opened the vents and got it grilled. Excellent.

Boudin was from Cochon Butcher in New Orleans. My favorite boudin is from Don's Specialty Meats, but Cochon's is a nice, clean boudin that newbies especially will like.

Cook's Country has a great recipe for St. Louis Pork Steaks. Basically, you first sear the steaks (I used 1" bone in steaks cut from a Boston Butt) then, on the grill, braise in a St. Louis BBQ sauce that you make yourself. It is a really excellent barbecue sauce (I opted to leave the bits and pieces in the sauce but you can, of course, run the sauce through a strainer if you prefer). At any rate, when the steaks are tender to your liking (it's done when it's done...) then you again sear the steaks and serve with the remains of the sauce. It is really a memorable experience.

I told my son about it and he had a whole Boston Butt cut in steaks 1" thick. Incidentally, I got the recipe from Cook's Country Barbecue Book. It's on their web site but you have to register on their site to get the recipe.

Dale53

Rooster,
It's pretty easy to de-bone a butt, just let your knife follow along the bone, and then tie it up.
Or do what I did here.

Bob, thanks for that link - and yer victuals look tasty as well - looks like it may be time for me to defrost a butt and give my virtually-non-existent-as-of-this-writing butchering skills a whirl...

Regards,

Rooster

Chris, thanks for the tip on foiling the charcoal grate below the meat. I had seen that done in some posts, but wasn't clear on the purpose of it. I'll try it.

Robert, I'm going to look for the sauce recipe on Cook's Country's web site...

Mike, another tip for lower temps on a kettle is to foil the grill-area under the meat. I can't explain the science, but it works.

I used bricks tonight with foil on the cool/meat side. I had some zucchinni and Cajun Boudin with some apple and cherry wood. I had it down near 200 to 250 on my kettle for quite a while, got some smoke on, and then opened the vents and got it grilled. Excellent.

Boudin was from Cochon Butcher in New Orleans. My favorite boudin is from Don's Specialty Meats, but Cochon's is a nice, clean boudin that newbies especially will like.

I use Chris's method quite for longer cooks like ribs. Foiling the area of the charcoal grate where there are no coals simply restricts air flow and directs air through the fire itself for more efficient burning and better temp control. It saves fuel too. The kettle design does the rest. I had a smokenator but now I will barricade with a couple of fire brick and doing these two things creates an excellent two zone system. I'm doing this a lot with my 26.75.

Back