De-Boned Whacked-Up Butt = PP in 5.5 hrs.

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
After seeing John's cheater pulled pork, I decided to do something similar.

It's been a few years since I've de-boned a butt, but it only took maybe 2 minutes.
IMGP1042.JPG

Whacked it up.:)
Made up a rub, higher sugar than normal, and lower salt.
IMGP1044.JPG

Kettle set-up.
Baskets with a mix of KB & lump, peach & hickory for smoke.
Bottom vents 1/4 open.
IMGP1048.JPG

IMGP1056.JPG

Hood temp ran 275>325 most of the time.
Added a few KB to one side, and only once.
Pullable after 5 hrs.
No meat temps were taken, it's pretty easy to tell when it's done.
IMGP1061.JPG

I did foil it for another half hour.
IMGP1063.JPG

Pulled after 5.5 hrs. total.
IMGP1066.JPG

IMGP1068.JPG

This 5 lb. butt yielded about 2.5 lbs. pulled, not counting my snacking.
IMGP1072.JPG

Ghost dog Brooke, in the background, giving me the evil eye, then she came running.

Lots of great bark this way, just be sure to use a low salt rub.
A little less smoke flavor than low & slow, but to me, it was just as good as a long WSM cook.

Thanks for stopping by!

Super pulled pork Bob, and great photos! More pieces, more bark, less cooking time, can't go wrong. :)

Now, can I get a couple sammiches to go?:D

It's only cheating because you have way more awesome bark and in less time than normally possible. Kind of debunks the whole "cheaters never win" concept.

Super pulled pork Bob, and great photos! More pieces, more bark, less cooking time, can't go wrong.
It's true. Great job Bob.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

This was made for the next night's supper (yesterday) and beyond.
Son said "Excellent!"
Wife said "Best you've ever made" and I tend to agree.
I may sell the WSM:eek:

Had some for lunch today with Pappy's Original bbq sauce.
IMGP4385.JPG

Bob, how do you keep the temps so low in the kettle?!? Every time I try (Minion method with a handful of lit on a good amount of unlit briquettes) my temps always exceed 400... usually by a lot! I even choke off the bottom vents (the old "3 daisy wheels" style) but they still stay higher than I'd like. That's why I usually default to the WSM for those temps.

I have a pork butt in the freezer (8 lbs) that I intend to do this way, because I was going to try and find that section for buckboard bacon that Jeff mentions in this thread and put the rest of the sectioned pork butt on the grill like you did....

Thanks for the excellent post and pics! If mine turns out half as good as yours looks, I'll be a happy puppy!

Last edited:
sometimes i'm a deboned whacked-up butt:rolleyes:
GreatLookin'Cookin'Buddy! I'd get you the evil eye too if you weren't sharin'!

How is that Pappy's sauce?

I heard that Tim;)

I thought I had already begged for some of this earlier. Now I'm begging!!!!!! I definitely have to try this and PLEASE don't sell the WSM. There are far too many more recipes I need to "borrow" from you.

Back