? for Jim Lampe and Bob Correll (and other pork masters!)

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I bought what was advertised as a pork shoulder roast - bone in (on sale). It weighs 2.25# and is about 1.5" to 2" thick. Looks more like an extra-thick pork steak than a small pork butt. I was going to put it in the WSM, but now I'm thinking indirect on the kettle might be better.

I've never BBQ'd a really thick pork steak, so I'm looking for opinions: smoke it on the WSM or BBQ it in the kettle? I'm just looking for a nice, tender meal for Smoke Day. If the consensus is to BBQ, I need some helpful tips on getting it tender without burning it up!

Thanks in advance to everyone! :D

got pics?

A lot of times they just cut up a pork butt and I'm guessing thats what it is. If you like you can cook it just as you would a normal pork butt they just might cook a tad shorter (IOW they are hard to overcook). I like to buy them sometimes if I'm craving bark. More surface area = more bark.

No pics DK, but it looks like a pork steak only super thick. I'm leaning towards getting the WSM out and smokin' it for probably 4-5 hours at low temps (I usually do high heat for regular pork butts). However, it would be fun to try it in the kettle…adding a few small red potatoes for a "smash potato" side. I just haven't done a really thick pork steak.

I love the fact that on this forum , being called a "pork master" is a great compliment. That is not true everywhere . ;)

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for indirect on the kettle followed by a reverse sear, some red potatoes and some grilled asparagus.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for indirect on the kettle followed by a reverse sear, some red potatoes and some grilled asparagus.

That's the way I'm leaning Matt. I just have a hard time keeping my temps low enough to get the thing cooked through without drying it out or burning it up. Might be a perfect opportunity to try the "snake method"....

At that thickness I'd opt for the kettle and cook indirect at 275-300. Poke with a toothpick for tenderness. Might take a couple of hours give or take

I hope I can keep my temps that low Dave. My kettle (even with three bottom vents closed) seems to run at 400 and up! I'll have to modify my coals… modified Minion or snake method might help....

I'm flattered Mike, but sometimes I get the pig, sometimes the pig gets me!

Either device would be fine, but like Dave, I'd probably go with the kettle.
The snake method on a kettle helps keep the temps under control.
I assume you're wanting to have pulled pork, and not just a big pork steak?

Thanks for the reply Bob…and you're correct, I'm wanting more of a pulled pork result instead of a big pork steak. I had pretty much decided to go with the kettle, just trying to noodle out how to lay out the coals...:confused:

If I'm not mistaken, I first heard about pork steaks from a Bobby Flay cooking episode - this recipe, including recipes for all the sides, looks mighty tasty....

Regards,

Rooster

Thanks for the link Rooster. Bobby Flay's description calls for pork steaks 1/4" thick… the one I have is like a stack of 6 of those! I'll be substituting small red potatoes for the Yukon Golds, and I was going to "crash" them before serving.

Thanks for the link Rooster. Bobby Flay's description calls for pork steaks 1/4" thick… the one I have is like a stack of 6 of those! I'll be substituting small red potatoes for the Yukon Golds, and I was going to "crash" them before serving.

I'm definitely going to try his recipes, but now that I think about it, the show I was watching showed how to de-bone a pork butt and "re-bundle" (if that's even a word) it before slicing it; I guess I'll try YouTube to find a clip on how to do that - I've never been able to find a boneless Boston Butt 'round these parts, although I 'spose I could get a butcher to slice one up for me....

Regards,

Rooster

I hope I can keep my temps that low Dave. My kettle (even with three bottom vents closed) seems to run at 400 and up! I'll have to modify my coals… modified Minion or snake method might help....

That's surprising to me. Are you restricting your top vent? On the kettle you pretty much need to. Bank your coals to one side and support with a fire brick or two. Don't use so much lit and you should be able to keep your temps under 300F

That's the way I'm leaning Matt. I just have a hard time keeping my temps low enough to get the thing cooked through without drying it out or burning it up. Might be a perfect opportunity to try the "snake method"....
Mike, lower vent open 1/8" and lid vent open 50% should get you a steady 250-275 cooking temp.

I'm definitely going to try his recipes, but now that I think about it, the show I was watching showed how to de-bone a pork butt and "re-bundle" (if that's even a word) it before slicing it; I guess I'll try YouTube to find a clip on how to do that - I've never been able to find a boneless Boston Butt 'round these parts, although I 'spose I could get a butcher to slice one up for me....

Regards,

Rooster
Rooster,
It's pretty easy to de-bone a butt, just let your knife follow along the bone, and then tie it up.
Or do what I did here.

Gary and Noe, thank you both for the top vent suggestion. I've never closed it before, but I will on this cook thanks to your tip about that (guess the WSM mentality kept me from trying that). I don't have any fire bricks…I've always used my charcoal rails to keep coals banked to one side. I'm going to set the "thing" :)D) on a rack over a drip pan like I do when I smoke a pork butt.

Thanks guys!

Back