Fly Management

I wonder if this Mets the new A Salt weapons ban......
Now that there is funny!
As a aside I would definitely reccomend wearing safety glasses or specs with this.
I had some salt ricochet back in my eye after blasting a fly off my kettle.
It does not feel good.

Last edited:
This “Bug-A-Salt 3.0” is insane:

I was in the midst of what I call my pre-game warm-up, meaning a few cocktails before the meat goes on the grill. I’m having memories of my childhood, growing up with my grandparents & actually shooting birds with my Daisy BB gun, Ralphie from “A X-Mas Story” had nothing on me! Well needless to say, nothing is going on.

I fast forward to a half hour ago, the coals are ready to go on the SNS, followed by the meat & wood chunks it’s game on. The buffet has started, the flies are out in full force & I am picking them off like a kid in a carnival! Watching them somersaulting in mid air coming to a landing on the ground!

Time to go, I’m out of salt & I need to reload!

At one point I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience when I started to transform into Bill Murry in caddyshack, actually that was a que to get off the cocktails & sip the beer!

Anyhow, as much as I would like to think that there is new sheriff in town, the flies just keep coming!

OMG! What have I started? Anyone used the salt gun on a slug?
This unit is more costly but is probably more suited for larger predators:

Bug-A-Salt owner here too, lots of fun. I use canning salt, seems to pack a little more punch and does a number on stink bugs too. (y)

This unit is more costly but is probably more suited for larger predators:

I really don't see how my life can continue as is, if I don't purchase one of these.

Where I live in the Midwest we are now in the dog days of summer, a lot of sun, high temps & stupid humidity. Whether I sit on the deck or the patio flies are everywhere! It gets extremely worse once I get the grill going. Regardless of me burning citronella candles or oil they still continue to appear. I'm sure it's probably been discussed before, what is everyone else doing to combat them?
where there are flies, there are maggots first - on something dead or decomposing nearby. What I have found is that my grease drip pan under my grill seems to be a nice breeding/feeding ground (yuck). I let the grill run for a bit with the lid down when I'm finished to burn the grill residue off the grates and hopefully off the flavorizer bars and drip cone leading to the drip pan. but that doesn't do anything to burn off the animal fat accumulated in the little drip pan itself. I regularly clean/degrease it and that seems to help reduce (but not eliminate) the flies. I also keep the grill surfaces and all the utensils nearby (like the grill brush) fastidiously clean. its a pain in the butt but seems to help

good luck

Perhaps this is the time to try out the Bug-A-Salt gun that shoots salt. It's like a shotgun geared down for application to flies. I've long been tempted to order one. If the flies keep landing on me like they did when I mowed the other day I may have to give in to the temptation.
I was given one. It doesn't work very well.

WTH.......I didn't even finish the thread and I have 2 sitting in my Amazon cart......
Not sure on the earlier models. Mine is the 3.0 Black Fly Edition, and works fantastic.

Much more satisfying, but you'll get a head shake from your wife, if you pretend that you are in Die Hard, and as you're shooting the terrorist flies, whisper "yippe ki yay..."

yippee.jpg

The flies also make her go mental......for me its the leg hair....
Land on leg, move leg, immediately land near where they were a second ago.
Drives me crazy, but I could kill them all.
She would give me the look 100%, then after I was done I would be more of a hero then a dum dum.
I know that movie and that line, only the old man would get it, I still have to buy one, half the summer is over but I think I can get it quick through Amazon....

You guys just using regular salt?
Like the box that you would use to fill up shakers of salt?
Like this....? This is a brand I can get anywhere....

1627318037158.png

I use canning salt, seems to pack a little more punch and does a number on stink bugs too. (y)
I would have thought it the opposite. They apparently sell Bug-A-Salt brand salt specifically for use in this device. From what I saw online it is a slightly larger grain than regular table salt. The guy doing the video compared the fire power of regular table salt with the special salt and found the special salt had less spread and greater impact than table salt. He fired into aluminum foil so you could see the pattern and the larger salt crystals definitely had a tighter pattern and broke through the foil with fewer hits. Of course, effectiveness would depend on your shooting ability. The wider spread of regular table salt might be a benefit if you aren't a steady hand with it. Canning salt, being a much finer grain that regular table salt, would likely have an even greater spread and less stopping power.

Having seen the difference with the special salt I immediately wonder if Kosher salt would work even better, though the grains might be too large. Just found a review that mentioned using Kosher salt and he said it was more effective than table salt, like buck shot compared to bird shot. So I guess it will work. Now to determine if Diamond Kosher is better then Morton Kosher.

I would have thought it the opposite. They apparently sell Bug-A-Salt brand salt specifically for use in this device. From what I saw online it is a slightly larger grain than regular table salt. The guy doing the video compared the fire power of regular table salt with the special salt and found the special salt had less spread and greater impact than table salt. He fired into aluminum foil so you could see the pattern and the larger salt crystals definitely had a tighter pattern and broke through the foil with fewer hits. Of course, effectiveness would depend on your shooting ability. The wider spread of regular table salt might be a benefit if you aren't a steady hand with it. Canning salt, being a much finer grain that regular table salt, would likely have an even greater spread and less stopping power.

Having seen the difference with the special salt I immediately wonder if Kosher salt would work even better, though the grains might be too large. Just found a review that mentioned using Kosher salt and he said it was more effective than table salt, like buck shot compared to bird shot. So I guess it will work. Now to determine if Diamond Kosher is better then Morton Kosher.
Kosher was too big. The canning/pickling salt (Morton's) is just a tad bigger than table salt. Somewhere I got the idea that was what their "special salt" was, and started using it. Plus, I had a whole box of it that I wasn't using. Seemed to work better of the two, just my results.

Charlie

Back