Flat Iron?

I went to visit a buddy last weekend, and stopped to pick up steaks from a local butcher he's pretty fond of. He picked up 3 flat irons, and they did turn out pretty darned good, with only a little salt & pepper on them. I'd certainly pick them up. According to him, it's the center muscle out of another primal (darn it, can't remember which, but up near the back,) and really has only been an available cut in recent years. If what he says is accurate, and you get a tough one, you didn't get a flat iron. Unfortunately, that's probably more typical than not.

The steaks that we got for dinner grilled quickly and simply. While I don't doubt these would be good in something like fajitas, I'd be quite happy just grilled off.
Got a properly butchered flat iron at Whole Foods the other day and it grilled up tender and delicious. Apparently, it takes some skill on the butcher's part to get the job done right. Did a quick dry-brine (5 hours) gave it a light coat of oil and S&P, cooked it over a medium hot fire with a little post oak added. It came out medium-rare and very satisfying. The bonus was that it cost just $8/pound.

Jeff
Cut from Top Blade. Excellent vid below

Jeff, you won! See below on how much I paid for my flat iron. That article that Timothy cited, WOW!!!! I learned so much. If I had to guess, wet aging might taste more livery if the lactic acid breaks down the myoglobin, releasing the Fe into the muscle. But that is just a guess. Thank you so much for sending that information.

Donna

20210724_193238[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20210724_193245[1].jpg
    20210724_193245[1].jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 16
See below on how much I paid for my flat iron.

Donna

View attachment 33792

Whoa! I would've thought that Whole Foods would be on the high end of the cost scale, but that's pricey!

I got a grass-fed ribeye there about a month ago that was great and about $15 or $16 a pound - cheaper than at the local H-E-B. Maybe Jeff Bezos is trying to create more steak fans! :) Beef prices have been yo-yoing in Texas for the last year. Some weeks, prime briskets are $3.50, then next week they are $4.99. You have to keep your eyes peeled for the good weeks.

Jeff

C Lewis, your flat iron looks very good! And very different from mine.

About a month ago, I got an email from Porter Road which stated that the flat iron is under appreciated, as it is the second most tender
steak cut. I ordered some. They are small square pieces - I would have guessed about 4 - 5oz.
But they say they are .44 to .56 lbs each. Price is $13.00 each. So, at least $26.00 a pound.

I cooked them last weekend and intended to take pics and post here - but, meh...
They were tender, alright - but I did not care for them for the very reason mentioned by Donna and others.
The taste AND the texture reminded me of beef liver. I like liver just fine, but not when I am expecting steak.

I'm glad I tried them, but will not be ordering more. Fortunately I had also ordered their chuck eyes and cooked them
as a failsafe. They were great. We all love chuck eye, so no one went hungry. :)

It will be fine! Yes, spouses can change what plans may be carried out almost as swiftly as the dramatic storm front that switched a grill cook to a “sauté/roast” dinner which was fine but, not as planned.
Now,if the next couple of days cooperate, there will be a beautiful Salmon (if I can find a fillet) and a pork loin for feasting! Everything else is subject to the deliverance of the freezer! I really want to clear the damned thing out! Some will act as “Live ice” for transport tot he cottage but, it’s still bloody well full!
Good luck on cleaning out your freezer. Every time I attempt to clean mine out, a great sale comes up and any progress I've made is quickly reversed.

C Lewis, your flat iron looks very good! And very different from mine.

About a month ago, I got an email from Porter Road which stated that the flat iron is under appreciated, as it is the second most tender
steak cut. I ordered some. They are small square pieces - I would have guessed about 4 - 5oz.
But they say they are .44 to .56 lbs each. Price is $13.00 each. So, at least $26.00 a pound.

I cooked them last weekend and intended to take pics and post here - but, meh...
They were tender, alright - but I did not care for them for the very reason mentioned by Donna and others.
The taste AND the texture reminded me of beef liver. I like liver just fine, but not when I am expecting steak.

I'm glad I tried them, but will not be ordering more. Fortunately I had also ordered their chuck eyes and cooked them
as a failsafe. They were great. We all love chuck eye, so no one went hungry. :)
Brenda,

Sorry to hear that yours didn't turn out as expected. I just cooked another last weekend, and mine was very much like a ribeye in taste and texture. I didn't marinade this time, just the same rub and cooked the same way over the Grill Grates. I sliced it again to keep the cross grain cuts, and couldn't help but to think that these slices would be great over rice with some teriyaki glaze drizzled over top.

Charlie

I like flat iron quite a bit, but rarely find it. I have not, however, ever cooked one on the grill. I cook it on real hot cast iron.

Brenda,

Sorry to hear that yours didn't turn out as expected. I just cooked another last weekend, and mine was very much like a ribeye in taste and texture. I didn't marinade this time, just the same rub and cooked the same way over the Grill Grates. I sliced it again to keep the cross grain cuts, and couldn't help but to think that these slices would be great over rice with some teriyaki glaze drizzled over top.

Charlie
Thanks, Charlie but it's all good! I like "broadening our horizons" and sometimes it's a wonderful new experience! :)
Yours looks excellent and the rice/teriyaki idea sounds great too.

This must be one of the regional differences someone mentioned earlier. There is still one in the freezer, I'll try to get a pic
to show how it differs from yours.

Here are a few photos of the flat iron after cooking. I was very happy with the reault. It was medium rare and juicy. No taste of liver so I guess it was well marbled. We also cooked some sockeye salmon.

We used a charbroil provided at Hall of Famer's Ric Gilbert's cabin. Notice moose cow in background with two calfs.20210826_203311.jpg20210826_203328.jpg20210827_091219.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, you won! See below on how much I paid for my flat iron. That article that Timothy cited, WOW!!!! I learned so much. If I had to guess, wet aging might taste more livery if the lactic acid breaks down the myoglobin, releasing the Fe into the muscle. But that is just a guess. Thank you so much for sending that information.

Donna

View attachment 33792

WTH?! I remember buying flat irons only 10 years ago because they were only $1.99 a pound!

Back