Flank Steak with BLT (Bacon, Leeks, Tomato) Smashed Potatoes

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Saw this recipe the other day and just had to try it. Pretty easy cook with lots of flavor. Here goes.

Picked up 2 lbs. of Flank Steak. Marinated it in Garlic, Montreal Steak, Smoked Paprika, Hot Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Red Wine Vinegar and EVOO. Recipe called for 15 minutes. I left it an hour, flipping once.

Cooked some bacon in my CI pan, and after about 8 minutes or so added the leeks. Cooked for another 8 minutes.

Used 2 1/2 lbs. of baby red potatoes. Boiled them on my camp stove in the interest of time. Not if, but when I do this recipe again I grill the potatoes.

Got the Flank Steak going. Grilled them on my JJ, about 6-8 minutes to about 130 IT.

Let the steaks rest for a few minutes.

While the steaks were resting, I drained the potatoes and added the bacon/leek mixture. Diced one large tomato and added that as well. Gave everything a good smash after adding one cup of chicken broth. They're not much to look at but wow, do they have flavor.

Sliced up one of the steaks and saved the other for some Fajitas my wife is making tonight.

Plated.

Again, not the most picturesque cook I've done, but believe me this cook was delicious. Thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited:
Cliff, that flank steak looks absolutely perfect! Very interesting potato/leek/tomato dish, and I think for sure grilling the potatoes will add even more flavor to that one.

Nice work!

R

Great meal Cliff. I love that marinade. Will have to use it. And your potatoe dish looks outstanding!

That is some awesome looking meat you did Cliff. That marinade sounds awesome also and will have to try, also like you take on the taters everything looks delicious from here.

You say its not the most picturesque. Maybe it wont ever make the cover of Food and Wine, but anyone that knows food, knows thats GOOD food!

Back