First WSM Smoke Done - My Thoughts

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Well my first smoke was yesterday with my new WSM 22 and what can I say other than awesome. In comparison to my Performer this is what I liked most.

Grill space - had 6 full racks of ribs in there.
Temp control - my Performer took some work to keep a steady smoke temp - the WSM just seemed to want to get there and stay there.
Finished Product - perhaps due to the large water pan but I found the meat more tender than what I cranked out with the Performer

Don't get me wrong, the Performer is a great piece of kit and can do more than the WSM..........but for JUST smoking, as most of you already know, it was just awesome.

Thanks.

97ECF33B-6277-4768-9834-1D507133609C-144-000000044552CFAC_zpsd9b37618.jpg

2FCFC7F1-5497-4A76-8F72-E1EE1F9B1AD5-144-0000000441471DCD_zpsfc9b20bd.jpg

Nice color on those ribs... Just like Dwain said, you are now hooked and probably thinking what to smoke next..lol

Beautiful ribs. I love my 18.5 WSM, but every time I see full racks of ribs on a 22 like that, I want one. :(

Thanks...now if I can find a deal like you did. I looked at a 22 1/2" WSM today and a Weber Performer Platinum. Still debating between them two and a XL BGE. Have to hurry and start work (seasonal worker..cement mixer driver) so I can make my mind up.

Thanks...now if I can find a deal like you did. I looked at a 22 1/2" WSM today and a Weber Performer Platinum. Still debating between them two and a XL BGE. Have to hurry and start work (seasonal worker..cement mixer driver) so I can make my mind up.

The BGE is an awesome cooker, it can do anything you need all under one lid. But you can have both the WSM and Performer for a lot less $$$ than a BGE XL.

Good luck.

That's some fine-looking ribs, first effort or for the umpteenth time. "3-2-1" loinbacks are smoking on mine, come Saturday.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback.....means a lot to an super-noob like me. I'm really excited to have the WSM now and am looking forward to hanging around this forum a bit more and learning - thanks again.

Great looking ribs! Yes, I almost pulled the trigger on a Primo XL earlier this month. After doing my research on BGE & Primo, I liked the Primo a bit more. Then, I came back to earth and remembered that I still had a couple of home renovations that REALLY needed to get done (and a son starting college in 4 months). Instead of the Primo, I got a 22.5 WSM, a bathroom remodeled, and a couple of storm doors replaced. I love the big WSM and got it precisely so that I could lay several slabs of ribs flat like that or lay a big packer brisket in there without having to shoehorn it between the handles of my 18.5 WSM. I hope to add a Primo or BGE to the arsenal in the not-too-distant future, but for now I have one more bathroom to redo before the grill makes it to the top of the list ... DARN it.

Last edited:
Great looking ribs! I just purchased the 18.5 and after seeing your ribs I wish that I purchased the 22.5 instead.

x2 I've had my 18.5" for two years and I'm looking to buy the 22.5". I smoke a lot of BBs so the extra room would be nice. I just to make some room in the garage for it.

Back