First try at beef back ribs

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
So I finally got around to trying beef back ribs. Had a hard time finding them, finally found them at Restaurant Depot. Next time I am going to order some from a local butcher, they were on the wimpy size, all that work and not enough meat. I was happy with the end result just the cut I got was not big enough.

I did 2 racks, one was marinated in Stubbs beef marinade and coffee. Then rubbed with an espresso rub. The other rack I used raichlen's Dinosaur rib recipe which feautures Chinese 5 spice powder, glazed with a hoisin sauce near the end. That rack was never basted, no need with that particular rub but the marinated rack I basted with some maple BBQ sauce cut with cider vinegar. I loved both as did my wife. Kept the WSM aoround 250-260 for 4 hours, Wicked good lump and 4 chunks of Maple. Definitely will try these again but from another source.

The marinated rack I cut in half (sort of) to keep everything one rack
photobucket-13668-1344822350278.jpg

Ready to go
photobucket-1769-1344822369276.jpg

Finished with the glaze
photobucket-7172-1344822390935.jpg

Plated with some parmesan waffle spuds and mac salad
photobucket-10545-1344822410801.jpg

I have to thank Jim Lampe, he went out of his way to share a bunch of links with his beef back smokes, greatly appreciate the help. Thank you Mr. Lampe, came out great with your help.

Good beef ribs are hard to find. Yours look great. Beautiful color on that smoke ring.

Eric, they look SENSATIONAL!!
So glad you found some... and hope you find meatier ones...
Love the dinosaur recipe too, i've done that a few times butt not in years...
the stubb's with coffee works well with no other seasonings.

Terrific Cook! Great Post!!

Thanks Guys, Still blows me away the knowledge I have picked up here, I have come along way since I made my first beer can chicken. So many helpful folks sharing insight and ideas. My name is Eric and I am addicted to TVWBB.com (and my smoker).

Back