First time using WSM 22.5

I see that you've got a probe through a potato or something to get temp at the grill. did you think it worked well? How different was it from the lid temp? Wondering if I should add this to my technique....

I see that you've got a probe through a potato or something to get temp at the grill. did you think it worked well? How different was it from the lid temp? Wondering if I should add this to my technique....

The potato worked great, it was a suggested method by Bruce. the dome temperature was about 10 degrees higher then the probe, being this was my first cook I will monitor it on the next cook. I will be using it again.

Bruce was helping me and another friend who also got a 22.5 for Christmas so we had two smokers going one used the BBQ guru tree and the other one we used a potato.

Last edited:
3 pieces of applewood 1 piece of hickory, the baby backs were rubbed with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, they were smoke for 3 hrs at 250 then foiled with brown sugar agave nectar and butter, then placed back on the smoker for an hour. The ribs were removed from the foiled sauced and placed back on the smoker for about 15 minutes. They would not have turned out as good as they did without the help of Bruce!

Awesome job, and thanks for the cook details. The back ribs look fantastic.

Back