First time pig.

anders

TVWBB Fan
Like a lot of us, that's something near the top of our BBQ bucket lists, and since I had a gathering of friends coming up, it was the perfect opportunity.

Got a small 12 kilos / 26 pounds pig from our local butcher, had it cut in two since I didn't have a rotisserie, rubbed it in spices and on the "barbecue" for roughly 4 hours. Turned out perfectly according to my guests. :)

TxFZeAj.jpg

The contraption, with improvised wind screens:
VO254bO.jpg

2 hours in, time to turn:
WKf4rhN.jpg

Slight charring in the skin, but otherwise very succulent:
8Hcmuet.jpg

The happy recipients:
ZhI6XGW.jpg

Now that's what I call 'Going Big or Going Home'. Looks top-notch anders. Great job.

Any reason why you removed the trotters (feet)? Over here people will fight each other for those things bbq'd.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony. :)

The trotters simply had to go for the pig to fit under the barrel. Next time will be on a rotisserie, so I'll keep them on then.

Wow Anders - that is a major undertaking. You were brave to try it for the first time at a big party. Looks like your guests really enjoyed it! How did you season it? Did you do anything special to it prior to putting it on the grill?

Regards,

John

WOW!!!!!!!! That is one outstanding cook, doing a pig for the first time and for a group of friends all at once. My hat is off to you Anders, fantastic job.

That is, as impressive as it gets. I want to build a pit like that, and have stumbled on the lid, but seeing yours...I'm past the stumble stage and ready to go to materials acquisition :)

How did you season it? Did you do anything special to it prior to putting it on the grill?
Hi John,

nothing fancy, I just rubbed it with salt and BBQ spices before putting it on. I like keeping first time cooks simple, since that makes it easier to learn from.

I want to build a pit like that, and have stumbled on the lid, but seeing yours...I'm past the stumble stage and ready to go to materials acquisition :)

Hi Chuck,

the lid is really just a half of a drum with some holes drilled into it for ventilation. Here's another picture of it:

FSRYtBh.jpg

Wow! That looks amazing!!! only 4hrs to cook the pig? How cool. Love your pit setup too! Pork looks very tasty!

Back