First time packer question

Is this possible? 16lb packer trimmed to about 13 lbs,( probably trimmed too much) is already @ 188 IT. It went on @ 4am, it's now 11:40 am. It's foiled. Been smokin between 235 and 260. My first one so i'm paying close attention. I've read they're all different

That seems super fast. Maybe your probe is placed weird? Still you probably have a few more hours depending on how tender it is at this point. Still that is 7 hours. At what temp did you wrap it? If it was around 150 you might have avoided the stall altogether.

It stalled @ 154, thats when i wrapped. I probed with a scewer and dont go in like butter yet, so i'm watching and waiting very patiently

It does seem fast, but as Dustin suggests, foiling early can avoid the stall and drastically shorten cook time. Pay close attention to tenderness and flexibility -- it could be 200 and underdone.

I took it off @201 let it rest for about 15 minutes, separated it, put flat back on,but still not butter probed.i am concerned about over doing it.put burnt ends under the flat.

I took a couple though i've not posted pics before. I think what happend was a poorly placed probe, even after i repositioned it. The flat is reading 177 not butter probed either. At this point, my concern is i will overcook it even though it doesnt probe smooth

Far from experienced, but the "butter probe" in my case was only for the point. As I could never get the flat to get softer, and ended up over-cooking the flat a bit waiting for it to.

I've only done one, and I've heard each are a different beast with their own ways.....but I pulled mine at 191 and wished I pulled it at 185 (mine was 12.88lbs pre-trimmed)

Times listed in first post are normal if majority of the cook time was up near 250-260. Leave it alone until the flat probes like butter.

Back