First time cooking ribs on the WSM.

Aaron Meier

Hi all! I just got my 22.5" WSM a couple of weeks ago, and I decided this weekend to try my hand at loin back ribs. I used the BRITU rub and cooking method, and they turned out really nice. I cooked 4 racks with a total weight of about 13 lbs. (these were BIG racks...the butcher didn't have any smaller ones). In reading about the BRITU rub, I noticed that a lot of people complained that it had a tendency to be salty, so I went easy on the rub...too easy, I think, because I barely noticed it. The coloring and the pull of the ribs were good, and the smoke flavor came through well, but there wasn't much bite to them, and I felt like the sweetness in the the KC Masterpiece/honey blend kind of dominated. I honestly couldn't taste the rub at all. Next time, I think I'll go a little heavier on the rub, and maybe try hickory instead of the oak/cherry blend the recipe calls for, just because I prefer the twang that hickory adds.

One question...has anybody tried this rub/cooking method with spare ribs? Does it work as well?

Anyhow, here's a pic I snapped after the ribs were sauced and ready to serve. Almost all of them were gone in a flash...the family really enjoyed them. I just need to focus on getting more flavor into them next time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meierphotography/8302725096/

Last edited:

Back