First Time Cooking Beef Ribs - advice needed, please

BenM

TVWBB Fan
Good morning everyone. I hope you are ready for a nice, long July 4th Weekend!

I am making beef ribs for the first time and need some advice. I have about 5 pounds of bone-in beef ribs that I'll be making Saturday night. I have the rubs, sauce, etc., all set to go, but need to make sure I have the timing & temps down, so I can serve them around 6:30 pm to my guests.

Any suggestions, ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated

As always, thank you and enjoy the long weekend

Peace

Good morning everyone. I hope you are ready for a nice, long July 4th Weekend!

I am making beef ribs for the first time and need some advice. I have about 5 pounds of bone-in beef ribs that I'll be making Saturday night. I have the rubs, sauce, etc., all set to go, but need to make sure I have the timing & temps down, so I can serve them around 6:30 pm to my guests.

Any suggestions, ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated

As always, thank you and enjoy the long weekend

Peace
Your cook on which of your grills?

I cook it exactly like I would a brisket. It is essentially the same thing when it is done.
I would aim to start earlier than you think and aim to be done for 4....this will give you lots of room to spare.
It sits well for a couple hours in the cooler wrapped up.

I've done several of these beef short ribs from Creekstone:
1688149134201.png

They cook in 5-7 hours at the pit temps that I use. Here are a couple graphs:

1688149242864.png

1688149272659.png

20210814_200937.jpg

You and your folks are in for a mighty fine meal! Enjoy.

Nice! Is it safe to say that I am shooting for the WSM to be around 250-275 for the duration of the cook? Which, based on your charts, appears to be about 6 hours

These guys have more skills than me, but the last time I did beef ribs on my wsm the total time, including a rest, was north of 8hrs, fwiw.

What kind of beef ribs ? Only have recent experience with beef back ribs. Ran WSM at 245 degrees with no water, wrapped after 3 hours, pulled after 5-1/2 hours total. Very tender and good crust.

All prepped and ready for tomorrow!

Attachments

• 20230630_150248.jpg
    20230630_150248.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230630_165547.jpg
    20230630_165547.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 15
All prepped and ready for tomorrow!
Proceed with caution, what I mean is, that there are different types of beef ribs, see link below:

The ribs in post #6 are different then the ones in post #12. Post #12 resemble yours & look to be back ribs. Obviously time & temp come into play, but in my experience back ribs will cook quicker than plate or short ribs. My personal favorite are prime 123A plate, but nevertheless when done properly I will take beef ribs over brisket. Just my .02.

Proceed with caution, what I mean is, that there are different types of beef ribs, see link below:

The ribs in post #6 are different then the ones in post #12. Post #12 resemble yours & look to be back ribs. Obviously time & temp come into play, but in my experience back ribs will cook quicker than plate or short ribs. My personal favorite are prime 123A plate, but nevertheless when done properly I will take beef ribs over brisket. Just my .02.
Yes!

Post 12 =

1688169617334.jpeg

Beef back ribs are basically ribeye on a stick. They do really well with SPG and some oil as a binder. Good smoke and it's like a slice of heaven. A nice fine Cab, some oak smoke and life is good. Enjoy!
Agree, & since I live in WM country, no Costco's, I never experience back ribs of this quality.....

Agree, & since I live in WM country, no Costco's, I never experience back ribs of this quality.....
how far is your closest Costco? these ribs I cooked were excellent. even for Choice, the beef rendered very well. like butter. these were some of the best bones i've ever had. i don't even think Prime would have made a difference here. each rib was quite rich. eating 2-3 was more than a meal; gluttony is what everyone was saying. but in a good way.

i just scored some amazing Cabs this Sunday. they'd go very well with this meal/cook.

Last edited:
how far is your closest Costco? these ribs I cooked were excellent. even for Choice, the beef rendered very well. like butter. these were some of the best bones i've ever had. i don't even think Prime would have made a difference here. each rib was quite rich. eating 2-3 was more than a meal; gluttony is what everyone was saying. but in s good way.

i just scored some amazing Cabs this Sunday. they'd go very well with this meal/cook.
They recently open a new Costco in Springfield, MO which is about 60-65 miles away. The real elephant in the room is that I recently changed jobs & my daily commute is a little over 100 miles round trip. At the the end of a week & 9-10 hours spent in a vehicle, the only thing I want to do is relax, thus I purchase a lot of beef cuts via online.

They recently open a new Costco in Springfield, MO which is about 60-65 miles away. The real elephant in the room is that I recently changed jobs & my daily commute is a little over 100 miles round trip. At the the end of a week & 9-10 hours spent in a vehicle, the only thing I want to do is relax, thus I purchase a lot of beef cuts via online.
that's a very tough commute. i hope they're paying you well for that. i won't complain of my 12 min commute, with traffic.

Costco by us delivers. IDK if they do so by you. That'd be a huge trip for you. I wouldn't do it either.

these guys ship but idk about to your state. this was quite amazing and will age well for 10-20 years if you're seeking a case to lay down.

Back