First Time Cooking Beef Ribs - advice needed, please

I appreciate the link, but I have enough vices already, I am afraid if I took up finer wines I would never drink anything else, lol!
Maybe so. But it’s worth it. I fully endorse this bottle and vintage. We had 6 wines Sunday. This was the top score of what we tasted.

I can share something less expensive that’s still good if you’d like. And a white too that was smooth and fruity; a light oaked Chard.

I appreciate the link, but I have enough vices already, I am afraid if I took up finer wines I would never drink anything else, lol!
This is a very low oak profile. Lots of fresh fruit and balanced profile. Not too bright and not too oaky.

This is a good blend. Fruity and not too dry. A smooth finish and nice mouthfeel. Winemaker did a great job on this one.

This is a blend of three Cabernet vineyards. 100% Cab but not single vineyard. The cocoa finish is perceptible. An easy drinking red without being expensive. Will hold up to any steak or lamb you pair it with. It will age well for 5-10 years, with ease. I wouldn’t go longer than that though.

Last edited:
Ben,
I have done quite a few back ribs both on the WSM and the Summit. Method and time for me is 3 hours bone side down @ 275. Foil for an hour still at 275. Rest in the cooler for an hour or more depending on dinner time.

Good luck with your cook!

Skip the back ribs...no meat. Not worth it. Its prime rib....but there isnt enough of it.

Beef short ribs....with the meat...best item you can cook

Skip the back ribs...no meat. Not worth it. Its prime rib....but there isnt enough of it.

Beef short ribs....with the meat...best item you can cook
Depends where you’re buying them. The Costco ones had very good meat. No shiners. For the price, they’re a decent cook. And they deliver amazing flavor.

Sure, short ribs are going to be meatiest. Personally, I’d rather sear off short ribs in a pot and make an incredible beef ragu. That’s some serious eating. A. Ice 8 hour cook in red sauce and served over some pasta with a Sangiovese wine. That’s a good day.

Heck, cook them both. Why just choose?

how far is your closest Costco? these ribs I cooked were excellent. even for Choice, the beef rendered very well. like butter. these were some of the best bones i've ever had. i don't even think Prime would have made a difference here. each rib was quite rich. eating 2-3 was more than a meal; gluttony is what everyone was saying. but in a good way.

i just scored some amazing Cabs this Sunday. they'd go very well with this meal/cook.
How long did you cook the beef back ribs?

these guys ship but idk about to your state. this was quite amazing and will age well for 10-20 years if you're seeking a case to lay down.

I used to own a 3300 square foot wine bar/restaurant in NYC. I also went to the French Culinary School. Any questions about wine, feel free to throw my way. I'll do the best I can

Maybe so. But it’s worth it. I fully endorse this bottle and vintage. We had 6 wines Sunday. This was the top score of what we tasted.

I can share something less expensive that’s still good if you’d like. And a white too that was smooth and fruity; a light oaked Chard.
Unshackled Cabernet... $24

How long did you cook the beef back ribs?
These were around 3.5 hours, but less than 4. Depends on your rack’s density.

Here’s the grate temps chart. My wood chunks kept setting off the grill temp.

1688321249995.png

Here’s the done pics:

1688321351783.jpeg

1688321380260.jpeg

They were really good. Heavy, but good. Two ribs and I was done. Mind you, we don’t eat as much red meat as we used to so we tend to feel it when we do.

Attachments

• 1688321335357.png
    1688321335357.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
Here is the final product.

The dog on the left is mine, his name is Chewbacca. The other dog is his little friend. They were both hanging near the smoker during the cook. Smart dogs!
SPG? How did you season them? Nice color and they look juicy and tender.

Back