First Post and Smoked Pulled Lamb

MikeRLynch

Hey all, been lurking for a while but figured I'd share my latest cook. Thanks so much for the info, you'll see a lot of the tips and techniques for setting up a Weber OTG for smoking from these boards. The WSM is in the mail, so I'll be sure to post my questions after a few runs ;) Thanks guys!

Thanks. I have a WHOLE leg of lamb. Hoping it's still good. Now I know what style to cook. How was the gamingness?

Way to kick things off Mike! Great video of a great cook. Welcome to the board. I'll follow your upcoming cooks on YT.

Welcome to the board Mike. I'm not much of a lamb fan but I would definitely try that, looks great.

I love lamb and there is always one more recipe I want to try, this is another one!
My normal project is to bone out the leg remove most of the fat(that's where you get the "gameyness") basic seasoning of salt and pepper on the surface. Make up a mixture of fresh basil garlic, olive oil, fresh parsley, a splash of red wine and a squeeze of lemon or some balsamic vinegar. Smear the mixture over the lamb' inside and out. Allow to rest in this ambrosial mixture for a few hours or overnight. I usually go indirect and reverse sear to medium. Usually about forty minutes which allows time to make the nice salad and garlicky rice, or have a few cocktails.
That's just one way.....

Thanks for the love guys, and all the info. For those that asked, it didn't have any gameyness that I could detect, it ended up tasting somewhere between pulled pork (the smoke) and shawarma (garlic and the lamb itself.) Except unlike most shawarma I've had this was actually very moist. I've always seen lamb taken only to medium rare, but I figured with such a big hunk of meat it could go all the way to pulled pretty easy too.

WSM just arrived yesterday, so it looks like I'm going to take her for a spin this weekend. I'll go stock for the first few cooks to break it in, but I've already got the list of mods I want to do from this forum lined up. Thanks again!

Welcome Mike and what a great video. I've been planning on smoking a leg of lamb for some time but always end up grilling it instead....No longer,
yours looks fantastic.

Back