First InstantPot recipe in progress

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Really off topic I suppose but it is a pic ;)

Doing turkey soup. With this Ultra, it's a 6 qt pot so only about 4 qt usable space. Used 2 lb bones (wings, thighs, legs; carcass is for 2nd batch) plus 7 C water, spices and carrots and onions. Brown the bones on saute setting, add a bit of water to scrape up the bits then add the water and spices. Hi pressure for 1 1/2 hr, de-pressurize and add the veggies. Another hi pressure for 30 min and let it slowly depressurize.

Not really much to see. But like I've said in the past; no pics it didn't happen ;)
83nP1OX.jpg

Lorraine pshaws this but I remind her: this will take about 3 hr total whereas her crock pot method is about 12 hr. We'll have it for supper :D

My wife & I are debating purchasing one of those. Since we never use the Crock Pot... we're not sure we'll ever use the Instant Pot. And we're running out of storage space.

My wife & I are debating purchasing one of those. Since we never use the Crock Pot... we're not sure we'll ever use the Instant Pot. And we're running out of storage space.

My wife and I had this EXACT same discussion before Christmas. Right now it's a no, but I must say they look pretty cool.

I just de-pressurized first time. Takes about 2 1/2 to 3 min to manually do it. A loooooong time. Soup was boiling (to be expected) and looks/smells just perfect. Added the veggies and re-pressurizing.

Had read that the veggies should go in in the last 1/2 hr so they don't get overly mushy. Wastes some time on the de-pressure and then having to re-pressure but we'll see. Pic to follow when done (another hour or so).

Edit--90 min and still depressurizing.Fuller it is longer it takes. Was at max fill so.....

Last edited:
As above Barb and I have discussed an instant pot as they seem to be very popular. We have two crock pots and use them quite often especially in the winter. We plan our dinners out a week to ten days so we already know when to get the food defrosted and ready for the crock pot.
But the time factor is what intrigues me, much faster than a crock pot.
Also like stated above running out of room for more gadgets.
So for now it's a no.

Some things I think it's not a time saver--rice, eggs, ehh not so much. This is the first time so a learning experience. I think it'll shine with stuff like osso bucco mmmmmm or pork or beef anything ;)

Funny thing I came across a recipe for BBQ baby backs with rice. Well, I don't think so but: the recipe said it serves 6. It was only 1.5 lb of b.b. !!! It is to laugh.

I have made some really good Mongolian beef in mine and it makes a killer cheesecake. The one thing I have been using it for in conjunction with the grill is potatoes. I drop some large bakers in the Instant Pot and cook them for 12 minutes in the instant pot while the charcoal is getting going in the chimney. I finish them on the grill with my steaks and it cuts way down on the cooking time but they still get the grilled skin effect.

Rich and Barb, looks like the Instant Pot will be the new Vortex for you guys.:p

I'm planning on cooking a chuck roast in mine for new years. It's great for stuff like that. I just have the basic one.

rotate the knob from pressure to release or whatever it says. Most say let it depressurize for 15 minutes after it's turned off then release the steam. I wouldn't wait so long if there's veggies in it.

Sounds like you know how to manual release it.....
Just don't push the pressurized lock button & turn the lid.

Too late. I let the natural way proceed. Looks great (I'm not gonna post that pic--it's just soup ;) ). I let you know how it sets up (gels) tomorrow . It's in the sun porch now de-fatting so-to-speak ;) .

Well, it turned out to be one big pot of jelly :) So much so we couldn't really skim any fat off the top. So just heated it up and slurped away.

Verdict: in some ways it's faster (maybe more efficient as getting the goodness out of the bones) but in comparison with a crock pot, I'd say it's a wash. Still have to let it cool down to get the meat off the bones and then let the whole thing get even cooler to solidify any fat.

I think it has a "turkier" flavour. Lorraine: it tastes the same. Maybe because I made it I think it tastes better??? ;)

Now on to something different.

Is there a difference between an instapot and an electric pressure cooker?

An Instant pot is an electric pressure cooker and more. It is a slow cooker, pressure canner and you can make yogurt too! I think it is the only that does not have a nonstick pot. I don't like using nonstick if I can help it. I love using mine to make soups, pasta dishes and it makes awesome refried beans.

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds really interesting. I make my own chicken stock and I usually simmer it for a really long time. I might have to think about using the instant pot.

Left over Costco chicken parts, water, veggies, little seasoning=chicken soup that sometimes gets some rice or noodles added. Ready in about 1 hour. Also hard-boiled eggs that peel, yogurt, and as a slow cooker. We got rid of the crock pot after using the Instant Pot a few times because of its versatility.

Back