First Go Around

teer hardy

Yesterday I did it. Yesterday I carried my Weber out of the garage, through my wife's studio, and place my Weber 22.5" OTS in its new home. Upon doing this I promptly grab my brand new Weber Chimney Starter and fired up the grill.

A week prior to this the wife and I had been grocery shopping and saw that whole chickens were on SUPER sale. Neither one of us knew what we would do with this bird but we knew that one of them was coming home with us. Yesterday that discounted bird from Harris Teeter met its fate. That bird had a 3/4 full can of National Bohemian beer shoved up its butt and enjoyed an hour and a half long date with my Weber.

I'm a novice at grilling. I am a recovering propane junkie. After some coaching from my grilling mentor and a YouTube video I felt confident that this could be pulled off. AND it just so happened that my mom and brother came by the house on their way home from North Carolina, good to see them but bummed they ate all my chicken.

grill2.jpg

grill1.jpg

Charcoalstarter.jpg

chickendone.jpg

chickenongrill.jpg

Very nice job on the beer can chicken, Teer! Guess you'll have to make a couple next time!!;) Never know when company might show up.

Kingsford Mesquite charoal and a mesquite rub I found in the pantry. Our spice supply is not very impressive, guess its time to stock up.

Overall the chicken was good, there was some color that transferred from the beer can to the inside of the bird that threw me off a first.

Very nice job on the beer can chicken, Teer! Guess you'll have to make a couple next time!!;) Never know when company might show up.

Seriously! I had just put the chicken on to cook when my brother called to let me know they'd be by in 20 minutes! When they pulled up they could smell the mesquite and asked who was barbecuing. I tried to play if off but failed.

Great looking BCC Teer! Things are looking up for ya...found the charcoal addicts website so it's all good!

Nice work!!

Looks good Teer! Welcome to the site.

Nice to see more representation from PW County here. I'm in Bristow.

Jim

What is that bright thing lighting up the entire area??? Can't say I am familiar with that here in Calgary hehe.. And no snow on the ground? How did you manage that? Now for the important stuff, that is a spot on looking cook. I have done many a chicken but still have avoided the beer can - this may push me in that direction.

What is that bright thing lighting up the entire area??? Can't say I am familiar with that here in Calgary hehe.. And no snow on the ground? How did you manage that? Now for the important stuff, that is a spot on looking cook. I have done many a chicken but still have avoided the beer can - this may push me in that direction.

I was just taking advantage of the "winter" weather in Northern Virginia. As for the cooking the bird, it was a 5lb whole chicken that cooked for 1 1/2 hours using a full chimney of charcoal. I do not know if I will do the beer can method again. I am apprehensive about the transfer of color from the can to the meat of the chicken. I wonder if there is a stainless steel "beer can" that is reusable for applications such as this.

I'm a novice at grilling. I am a recovering propane junkie. After some coaching from my grilling mentor and a YouTube video I felt confident that this could be pulled off. AND it just so happened that my mom and brother came by the house on their way home from North Carolina, good to see them but bummed they ate all my chicken.
That's the best that a novice - no, make that anybody - could hope for! Who's brewing Natty Boh these days, anyway?

Back