First ever smoke. St Louis Ribs on the WSM

DChu

first ever smoke! Smoked on hickory for 6 hours on WSM. Temperature fluctuated a bit, starting at 260 but getting it to stabilize around 230. had to run an errand for 2 hours and when I got back, it was at 200. Sort of a smoke ring but hopefully my newly installed gasket kit will help. Think I pulled it too early as it was tough in some parts. feedback very welcome.

http://imgur.com/a/QH2DT

Looks great from here! I usually get my spares tender in about 6-6.5 hours at 240, so you were in the zone...... I'm not sure that a gasket will help (or hurt) in the smoke ring department, and I think yours looks just fine. You'll get the hang of checking for tender after a few more racks. Keep cookin'!

Virl6Kz.jpg

Do look nice! You might want to consider the 3-2-1 method for tenderer ribs with the "2" representing -->wrapping them in foil for 2 hr<--.

Experimentation is required as this crutch will really tenderize them, sometimes to the point of literally "falling off the bone".

Depends on what you like is what it comes down to. I'd do that with spares (your cut) but not with backs.

Good looking ribs in the Bay Area. Use a tooth pick to test your ribs as to when it's time to pull them. When it goes in effortlessly, they're done

Looks tasty and reminds me I'm hungry! I'm not experienced; did my first smoke exactly 12 months ago, then migrated to charcoal for grilling, etc., thanks to the web (Weber AND www). I used to think "awww, look; they can't afford a gas grill" when seeing people with a kettle at the checkout. I pulled my first several racks of ribs too early [I think] but eventually began pulling more by sight than temp, judging by how far the meat pulled back from the bones and utilizing bend tests. The thing is, almost all my cooks have been tasty even though today I utilize several different techniques from those when I first began.

Back