First Ever Prime Steak Cook

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have never purchased a piece of Prime Beef. So when I saw this guy for 50% off I went for it.
It got a 48 hour dry salt brine.

IMG_20210419_150614.jpg

IMG_20210419_150626.jpg

I went with my favorite All Purpose seasoning Boars Night Out White Lightning and the trusted Carna Crosta from Oak Ridge BBQ.

1618859191183~2.jpg

IMG_20210419_151603.jpg

On to the WSM 14 at 235 with some chicken breast and my favorite heat sink, potatoes in foil,l until it hit 110. WSM was running with Royal Oak Chef's Select and some Pecan wood.

IMG_20210419_154434.jpg

Got some Royal Oak Lump red hot and into the upside down vortex on one side of the kettle and placed the CI griddle directly over top it.

IMG_20210419_191420.jpg

Flipped.

IMG_20210419_191415.jpg

And ready to come off.

1618874048778~2.jpg

While the steak was resting I turned the griddle and put the asparagus on.

IMG_20210419_191403.jpg

Asparagus done.

IMG_20210419_191501.jpg

Potatoes done.

IMG_20210419_191454.jpg

Chicken done.

IMG_20210419_191354.jpg

First cut.

IMG_20210419_191443.jpg

Ready for service.

IMG_20210419_191438.jpg

All plated.

IMG_20210419_191429.jpg

I love spring days where you can cook everything outside on the kettle and WSM. It was a perfect perfect day and cook.
That was one of the best alround meals I have cooked in a while. The asparagus tried to steal the show (it was that good), the chicken (which I made of a lot of) was some of the best I have made in a while and the steak was amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_150631.jpg
    IMG_20210419_150631.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210419_154434.jpg
    IMG_20210419_154434.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 2
Looks really good - every last bit!

Gotta comment on those taters. I used to do them all the time, but I can't even remember the last time. My dad just got a BGE last week and we went there for dinner on Saturday. Among other things, he did the foil packet potatoes and they were delicious. I have no idea why I haven't done them in so long.

Any more details you can share on the steak? Was it bought local? On line?

Looks really good - every last bit!
Thanks!
Any more details you can share on the steak? Was it bought local? On line?
It was just the local grocery store. They regularly carry a few cuts of prime beef, but that steak was just under 40 bucks not on sale. When my family sends me on late night grocery shops I don't mine because I can scan the meat cases. This store is known for lowering the meat prices on the regular so I have found a couple cool pieces of meat at great prices over the last 18 months since we moved into our new house. So this was I think just over $19. It was worth it. It was richer and more tender than anything else I have ever cooked.
Gottata comment on those taters. I used to do them all the time, but I can't even remember the last time. My dad just got a BGE last week and we went there for dinner on Saturday. Among other things, he did the foil packet potatoes and they were delicious. I have no idea why I haven't done them in so long.
They were a childhood staple of mine as well and since I have gotten my WSM I make them a lot. They are one of my kids favorite, they always ask for them, and they eat them like crazy. I stumbled on the fact they work as the perfect heat sink in the WSM and in two hours perfect!

Wow, Michael. That looks fantastic. I hear you on the spring day cooks. Great meal!!
awesome cook! it has been great to spend time outdoors relaxing

Yeah, I do a lot of outdoor cooking in the colder months and I love it, but today I just let the meat rest outside (loosely covered) while other food was cooking. I spent most the cook just hanging around the grills or sitting outside with different family members who can out at different times. It was not rushed, the timing of everything lined up, and it was just one of those perfect spring cooks.

I have never purchased a piece of Prime Beef. So when I saw this guy for 50% off I went for it.
It got a 48 hour dry salt brine.

View attachment 26368

View attachment 26369

I went with my favorite All Purpose seasoning Boars Night Out White Lightning and the trusted Carna Crosta from Oak Ridge BBQ.

View attachment 26373

View attachment 26371

On to the WSM 14 at 235 with some chicken breast and my favorite heat sink, potatoes in foil,l until it hit 110. WSM was running with Royal Oak Chef's Select and some Pecan wood.

View attachment 26376

Got some Royal Oak Lump red hot and into the upside down vortex on one side of the kettle and placed the CI griddle directly over top it.

View attachment 26388

Flipped.

View attachment 26389

And ready to come off.

View attachment 26390

While the steak was resting I turned the griddle and put the asparagus on.

View attachment 26391

Asparagus done.

View attachment 26392

Potatoes done.

View attachment 26393

Chicken done.

View attachment 26394

First cut.

View attachment 26395

Ready for service.

View attachment 26396

All plated.

View attachment 26397

I love spring days where you can cook everything outside on the kettle and WSM. It was a perfect perfect day and cook.
That was one of the best alround meals I have cooked in a while. The asparagus tried to steal the show (it was that good), the chicken (which I made of a lot of) was some of the best I have made in a while and the steak was amazing!
Great job and everything looks spectacular. What cut was the prime steak? Was it a cut that needed low and slow? I am asking because it seemed like you could have done all that on the kettle alone with less effort. I have been using the kettle for faster and indirect like steaks, chicken, burgers, dogs, while the WSM gets the longer slower cooks.

Great job and everything looks spectacular. What cut was the prime steak? Was it a cut that needed low and slow? I am asking because it seemed like you could have done all that on the kettle alone with less effort. I have been using the kettle for faster and indirect like steaks, chicken, burgers, dogs, while the WSM gets the longer slower cooks.
It was a Rib Eye, the kettle could have totally handled it. However, I had the WSM going to do the chicken using Chris's recipe, and the foiled potatoes, and I love the little hint of smoke a steak gets from its time on the WSM low and slow. Having both my Webers in use actually made the whole cook go way smoother, a lot less hectic, and really enjoyable, but you are 100% correct!

Michael, thanks for clarifying the split cooker method, I’m lazy. I’d have done the whole thing on the kettle. I can totally relate to the “welcoming spring” cook! It was 80* two weeks ago here this morning mid 20’s! I think I deserve a nice big ribeye, for enduring this weird weather!
Right now, I’d like one for breakfast! A bit more on the rare side for me.

Steak looks great and beautiful plate! I love the asparagus. Have never seen the White Lightning before - I'll be checking it out. :)

It was a Rib Eye, the kettle could have totally handled it. However, I had the WSM going to do the chicken using Chris's recipe, and the foiled potatoes, and I love the little hint of smoke a steak gets from its time on the WSM low and slow. Having both my Webers in use actually made the whole cook go way smoother, a lot less hectic, and really enjoyable, but you are 100% correct!
Thanks for linking to Chris's recipe - It looks good and I will have to try it out. I will also be trying your sliced potatoes in foil soon.

Thanks for linking to Chris's recipe - It looks good and I will have to try it out. I will also be trying your sliced potatoes in foil soon.
Chris's low and slow chicken breast recipe is probably the most smoked meal in my house! It's a great weekend smoke or a complement cook to a piece of beef or lamb that not everyone in my family will eat.

Back