First ever pork butt !

So I woke up with a huge hangover from a wedding we went to last night ! Was supposed to set my alarm to put it on nice and early for dinner tonight but I think I'll throw some chickens on as well, atleast I'll have something for our guests :) I'll post some updates as I go :) oh and I did the mustard rub pork butt recipe !

image_zps295a7e4e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks good Jezza. That dome gauge is notorious for reading anything up 30 degs either way. (I get dew build-up on my temp gauge also).
Let it ride, & don't sweat it. Look forward to the pull.

Last edited:
Hey tony ! Thanks for the info ! Done my pull just now :) it hit 193 f and I pulled it off and did the pull about half hour later and added some bbq sauce :) anyhow here's the pics ;)

image_zps532b3d84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps27d38f39.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsf99d6be9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
one down, nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine to go. :D
Congratulations !
Looks Terrific !

Great looking pulled pork! Looks fantastic. Haven't seen those Grill Mates. Will look for them. Ditto what Tony said on the foggy gauge. The one on my 22 WSM fogged up and I called Weber. They sent me a new one and it fogged up too. Don't think there's any getting around it.

Terrific results for a first pork butt! Pulled pork looks nice and moist. It only gets better from here.

Thanks heaps guys :) I have learnt some things from this cook, next time I'll get myself a syringe and inject that sucker !! It was a bit dry around the edges but in the centre and at the base where the spine was so juicy and moist I think it acted as a barrier and when I lifted it out the ribs were just falling away ! I could literally pull it apart with my fingers !!! Although it was bloody hot :eek: all in all it was so tasty but next time I would use more smoke ! I also bought some "sheoak" sawdust ? I don't know if you guys use or have heard of it ? Once again thanks for all the positive comments and go SEA EAGLES !!!

Nice job Jezza. Result!
That bark looks good, & the smoke ring. I'll have a plate please.

Now that you've cracked it.........get cooking.. :D
Looking forward to your next cooks mate.

I think that sheoak sawdust is only available in Oz.

Last edited:
Nice job Jezza. Result!
That bark looks good, & the smoke ring. I'll have a plate please.

Now that you've cracked it.........get cooking.. :D
Looking forward to your next cooks mate.
I think that sheoak sawdust is only available in Oz.

Thanks mate ;) I'll be getting my hands on a big beautiful wagyu brisket:) can't wait !!! Apparently they normally feed it to their dogs :eek: can't wait !!! Hopefully it won't be too long !

Edit/ not too sure what to try the sheoak on then if it's only sold here ?

Back