first cook

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
Alright, be patient with me. I finally got around to trying out my new 22.5 WSM this past weekend. It was a breezy day in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and I never used a smoker before. That was nothing compared to trying to figure out posting the images here. I still am not sure if this will work, but the temp on my pork butts stayed between 244 and 266 for the better part of 11 hours before I had to adjust the vents. Later, I added a half chimney of lit coals a couple of times as the night cooled down. 15 hours after I started, this is what I got......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120465323@N04/sets/72157642453693174/

Kids all loved it! The neighbors got samples, and the feedback is positive thus far. Next door neighbor is putting in orders for future cooks. Served it with slaw and east carolina vinegar sauce recipe from amazing ribs. This was a lot of fun. Next time I'll work on plated picks.
I got a ton of this stuff in the freezer now. If any of you have suggestions for good use of the leftovers (aside from more sandwiches), I'd love to hear.

Scott, your pork looks delicious. Keep at it my man. Cletus and Ginger will gladly taste test your efforts. Try some pork tacos with the reheated meat. We have done this and it's been good.

Nice looking cook Scott!!! Some of my favorite way to use leftovers is to add some to some Bush's beans. Nachols, empanadas, use it as carnitas,

Thanks for all of the feedback. Now if I could figure out how to get the actual images in my post, rather than just the links.
Do any of you use Flickr? Do I need to open the link before I submit the post? Is it because I submitted a link to a whole set rather than just individual images?
Suggestions?

Scott well done bud. I can tell you what I do for photos, open a free Photobucket acct. Load your pics into your computer, open up a browser, open photobucket, clicl on upload pics, select the file with the photos, I usually select all by hitting the date at top which will highlight all in that date file, click open on the bottom and watch them download pretty quick.
Then after loading go up top to library, click on pictures and you choose what you want to post by going to the shot, put your cursor on the photo and a icon will appear in the top right hand corner and you pick get links, and there will be for options for you to use based on what you want to do. Click on the option you want and will attach an image tag to your photo and it will say copied, then you just go to your post and right click paste and presto when you image will appear when you hit post

Looks awesome and congrats!

In terms of leftovers, I use it on pizza and calzones (with bbq instead of marinara), it makes great spring rolls with some leftover cole slaw fried in some spring roll wrappers, it also makes great tacos, enchiladas, etc...

I vacuum seal the meat and the sauce (if you make your own) separately in meal sized bags. You can reheat the in the bag in water sous-vide style or reheat the meat in a little apple juice...

Scott thats a great first pulled pork. I've done tacos and enchiladas here with Tony Rs rice and beans and they were great.

Your pork is meteor looking! I love it. Great cook. Complimenti!

About pics problem using flickr. Well I had tons of problem too.
Just yesterday I finally got. when you copy the BBCode just copy and then paste the all BBCode
That is my experience.

Last edited:
dang... you gotta love when that shoulder blades slips right out of that hog. impressive...

don't lift the lid...

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Sounds like it does real well in Mexican dishes.
Rich, the link to your cooks is appreciated. It looks delicious.
My 13 year old had another idea- he has access to a panini press at school. He's taking a bunch of the pork with some jalapenos and cheese to make a sandwich.
J- thanks for the advice. I did a "poor man's" vacuum with some zip locks and a drinking straw. I refrigerated all of it in rectangular pan, then inverted on cutting board and cut into smaller "loaves" that I wrapped in wax paper, then vacuum bagged.

Scott you did it right. Great cook and a great meal. Hell, i sure wouldn't mind being your neighbor with meals like that.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Now if I could figure out how to get the actual images in my post, rather than just the links.
Do any of you use Flickr? Do I need to open the link before I submit the post? Is it because I submitted a link to a whole set rather than just individual images?
Suggestions?

Very good looking cook. Nice job.

I use flickr. I click on the photo to view it. Then, look for the ellipse on the right. Then, choose view all sizes and it will take you to another page with multiple sizes to choose from. Get the size you want, right click and choose "copy link" (wording may vary depending upon browser). Use the photo icon and that link. The key is to get a URL that ends with *.jpg or *.png or whatever image type you use.

Sites like Flickr don't want you to do that. It against their tos. They would rather people visit the site. So, they make it difficult.

Back