First cook?

L Weiner

TVWBB Member
I just got an 18.5" WSM for my birthday and want to fire it up this weekend. Live outside Boston and supposed to be warm and doesn't look to be too windy. Recommendations for first cook?

I use one MAYBE two tennis ball size chunks per cook. Some like more. I avoid the ashtray effect by using the smoke wood sparingly. Anybody can make smoke.

I plan for this to take about an hour: 30 min for the chimney to get volcano hot, then 30 min after I dump the lit lump unto a full ring (within 1" of the top) of unlit lump until the fire burns clean I put it together. Make a clean fire with near non existant smoke ...then add the smoke wood, put the WSM together, add water to 1" of the top of the pan, load it with meat, and let the WSM temps rise and fall.

Last edited:
I was going to say a pork butt or even a chicken or two. Pork butts are more forgiving if you have a few temp swings and operator errors :) I use a 2-3 pieces of wood a little smaller than Dwain does so as not to over power the food. I don't mind it a little strong but my family is a little more picky and like it a little less bold with the smoke flavor. I use chunks about 2x2x3 in size and am fond of apple and cherry on butts as it gives it a smooth smoke flavor without being too bold..
Dwain also gave good info on the clean fire idea and you will find some brands of lump and briquette charcoal will burn cleaner with less smoke than others.
You will get lots of info from some great food smokers on this board and they will chime in soon!!! Welcome to the board!!!!

Pork shoulder, either full, picnic or a butt is probably the easiest cut of meat to start with.

I put about 4 or 5 pieces of wood, about 2x4x4 mixed in with my charcoal and do not add any more during the cook. I've been using red oak recently it's mild and readily available.

Good luck,

Bob

The Renowned Mr Brown: http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html It will season your new WSM and give you some excellent BBQ to celebrate with.

Build your fire so it burns clean. Add smoke wood sparingly. Welcome Aboard.

I agree on the pulled pork as a great, first smoke. It is an easy and forgiving cut and the aroma and flavor will knock your socks off! I'm in Billerica, ma and have found SAMs club in Hudson NH (just outside Nashua) to have the best pork butts, ribs (and prices). Supposed to be 55 degrees this Sunday and I'm torn between some bby backs or a briskie for the game.

If you are absolutely new to charcoal cooking, I'd go with chicken. Fire it up hot and cook it fast (high heat cook) If you have some experience I would do a butt. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time so you can get to know how your new wsm works and not worry about a hungry family asking you when will it be done. It will take a long time 10 to 20 hours depending on the size of the butt and the temp you're cooking at. There are a number of good starter recipes in the cooking topics of this site - take a look and good luck!

I have some experience with charcoal, but not a smoker. My plan is to do a pork butt. I'll probably throw it on at 5 or 530AM and see when it is done. We'll have a back up dinner plan if it doesn't finish by 6 or 7.

Thanks!

I like to average at about 275* to do a 6 lb butt in about 8 to 8.5 hours without foil. I let the temps ride up and down within + or - 20 to 25*. This is better than most household ovens.

6.25lb bone in boston butt. Mr Brown's recipe, No 5 sauce. That is the plan. Primarily using Oak with 1 piece of hickory. I'll let you know how it goes...Thanks!

I agree with the pork butt suggestions... very forgiving and always an excellent outcome. Dwain's suggestion about letting the WSM burn clean before assembling is a great idea as well.

Ok I got it on at 6:05. Temp is at 257 at the grate with a maverick seems to be holding there. So far this seems way too easy

Ok so after 2 hours the temp is hanging around 270 - 275. All vents basically closed - except vent on dome open 100%. Any advice?

Sorry I missed this. 275-300 is my go-to temps on butts and they usually come in about 1.25 hrs a pounder on my 18.5" WSM in my backyard.
How'd yours come out??

Tim

My cook turned out pretty well. About half the time it was between 275-300 and the other half 225-250. Pulled it off after 9.5 hours. Let it sit for 1.5 hrs in ice chest and foil. Pulled pretty nicely. Made #5 sauce, baked beans, Mac and cheese (for kids) and cornbread. Good feed. My friends were impressed. Next time I will start with fewer lit coals. Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:
Sounds like a success! You'll also find that going through this process has deposited a lot of gunk inside the smoker which helps to seal up any little gaps. You'll have more control with the vents mostly shut than the first time.

Back