first cook questions

Eric A

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok, so fantastic fatty cooked this morning, got the cooker to hold at 266 as measured with Maverick on grill, shut all vents and temp stayed at 266 for hours about 2 pm it dropped to about 218, added some more charcoal and opened vents brought temp up 260 and shut vents down added Apple wood when back at 250 or lower going to put a turkey breast on to cook.

Questions, when adding charcoal do you just open door and drop it in on top of hot coals? Or do you pull cooker apart and start over?

I prefer the "hot squat" but I have an 18" WSM so its easy. If I need to add a half chimney or more of coals I carefully lift the upper upper portion off the bottom charcaoal holding portion, dump coals in then carefully set the upper part back on.

If I were only adding a few coals I would use the door but most of time it's the hot squat for me.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I was lucky enough to only need to add a few coals to the fire, but cant wait to tell the wife "I'm going out side, gotta do a hot squat" lol my temps stayed up right till the turkey came off the grill.

Back