First cook on my new Smokey Joe - Beef Short Ribs

DaveL

I picked up a Smokey Joe recently, it had been used half a time..the owner couldn't get the Weber coals to light so sold it with the coals for less than the cost of a bag of coal! :D

I already plan to do the WSM mod to it, I'm just amazed at how efficient the SJ is, it hardly used any coals and was really stable.
I did try to cook a steak on it the first time I used it as a test but it didn't have enough oomph in it.

5.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Those bones look stellar Dave. Nice one.

What I did with my SJ was drill 3 x 1" holes in the bottom of the bowl with a step drill. Then bought a cheapo enamelled metal plate, drilled a hole in the middle the same size as the bolt/wingnut that holds the legs together, acts as an ash catcher. Grills like a champ!

Smokey Joe's are a great little cooker. Versatile too! Ours is a smoker, rotisserie and a pizza oven!

I did try to cook a steak on it the first time I used it as a test but it didn't have enough oomph in it.

Awesome cook! And beautiful color!

I feel that the side vents on the SJG doesn't allow enough air compared to the SJS to really get the coals going.

Back