First Brisket packer

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
I've smoked a couple small flats before, with ok and better results. We decided to go whole-hog (I know, right?) and buy a full packer for the 4th. It weighed in at about 15 pounds, although I probably trimmed at least 3 pounds of fat from it:

6B0A33CF-7240-479F-AEBB-6542C38E8A15.jpg

E1AF350C-A74C-41E3-98B6-E8044B3EE63D.jpg

I smoked it for 8 hours (!) at 250 over a mix of mesquite and pecan, and pulled it with an internal temp of 190 and a positive probe test:

BE566EDB-8D06-46A7-965A-D691C9613C3A.jpg

I'm not sure why it cooked so fast (I started another thread with that question). It rested in a cooler for about 4 hours, and is now in the fridge waiting for dinner time.

I had estimated at least 14 hours cook time, which would have provided a generous rest, and then right on the dining room table, but I guess we'll be rewarming it now.

More pics when I slice it later!

It didn't cook fast, just leave it and pull it at hour 12-14 regardless of temp. Don't second guess ur self, u were right n smokin time. Even 16 hrs would have been fine, even without the trimmed fat.

Wow is that $100 for a slab? I could have sent you 3 with shipping. That's not a Texas brag either, that's just a fact and I'm just talking.

That's a awesome looking brisket David. If you're not happy with it I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

That's a awesome looking brisket David. If you're not happy with it I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Thanks! :eek:

It looks right, and it smells like heaven, if heaven ever burned :) I just hope it's not under-cooked!

It didn't cook fast, just leave it and pull it at hour 12-14 regardless of temp. Don't second guess ur self, u were right n smokin time. Even 16 hrs would have been fine, even without the trimmed fat.

Wow is that $100 for a slab? I could have sent you 3 with shipping. That's not a Texas brag either, that's just a fact and I'm just talking.

If it's really done at 8 hours, it seems like cooking for another 4-5 hours would dry it out or make it mushy. But I'm a brisket newby!

When was the last time you checked your temp gauge on your smoker. (with ice then hot water). Just thinking out loud. Thanks for sharing. Chuck.

When was the last time you checked your temp gauge on your smoker. (with ice then hot water). Just thinking out loud. Thanks for sharing. Chuck.

I checked it against a known good thermometer when I got it, and it looked good. I haven't checked against boiling water, but that's now on my to-do list.

The brisket is back on the grill (wrapped in foil, on indirect heat) to warm back up for dinner... after 3 hours resting in a cooler and another 10 in the fridge, the internal temp was still 80 degrees.

That's a great looking brisket David. The cooking time does seem like an anomaly. The last 15 lb packer I did took exactly 15 1/2 hours to reach 198 IT, no foil, always use water in pan, cooking temp constant 250. I bet yours will be delicious!

Last edited:
Well, it turned out to be fantastic. Fork tender, juicy and smokey.

If I had a complaint, it was a little fatty - marbled within the meat. We serves it with my wife's family potato salad recipe and grilled zucchini:
7371C0F3-75A1-4EB3-8465-0CBDBBC8C93B_1.jpg

B81E915E-54B5-4445-A3A0-637BDBE4EF26.jpg

3CEE8956-E9B7-4435-A453-78DE0691614E_1.jpg

Looks like you're doing it right in Chi-Town, I have yet to do a brisket, I could only hope I do as well as you!

Looks good from here!
You say it was fatty. And in you plate I can see lot of fat not still melted. But, is it sliced point or flat? I bet point. Am I right? If yes, probably you should have cooked point long after separating it from done flat.

Looks good from here!
You say it was fatty. And in you plate I can see lot of fat not still melted. But, is it sliced point or flat? I bet point. Am I right? If yes, probably you should have cooked point long after separating it from done flat.

Kind of hard to say as it looks like he finished the cook, rested it, put it in the fridge, then I guess he reheated it ? Is it that the fat was never rendered? Or was it congealed due to not being heated up enough on the reheat?

If it's really done at 8 hours, it seems like cooking for another 4-5 hours would dry it out or make it mushy. But I'm a brisket newby!

No. look at mine I've been cooking a slab a week my whole life. Everyone I know does this. Most slab houses do it this way. You can't dry it out or jerky it. You can only smoke it better longer.

It's only done according to your technology. Try it the other way. Take the helmet off like Luke did in part one and you'll be very pleased. I'll be happy to accept your letter of. Thanks. ;)

Kind of hard to say as it looks like he finished the cook, rested it, put it in the fridge, then I guess he reheated it ? Is it that the fat was never rendered? Or was it congealed due to not being heated up enough on the reheat?

Not enough heat or smoke. That's all. There was nothing to rest. And yes the fat didn't render. If he trimmed it to 3lbs it should have melted like pot roast.

Slabs are meant for abuse and mistakes, it's probably the only cut that you can't mess up unless you pull it too soon. It needs to be left there. Forgotten. Turned to the different smoke directions but that's it. Just leave it. Don't probe, don't measure, just wait. And anything after 12 hrs is a good time.

He could have put it back on at this point another 4-5 hrs. These things have fat throughout the meat so it will re smoke real nice. Look at New Braunfels smokehouse online, when I worked there, we re smoked mistakes and gave those exact directions for delivered slabs.

Back