First brisket- cooked too fast?

Chase Garrett

cooked my first packer brisket this weekend on the wsm. Cooked it right around 230 degrees as measured with a maverick. The brisket was 13 pounds before trimming. I expected it to take 14-16 hours to cook so was surprised when it only took 8 hours before measuring 205 degrees in the thickest part of the flat. Is this normal? I have it wrapped in foil and now have to hold it for about 10 hours before guests arrive for lunch. Any reason why the cooking time was only 8 hours?

That does seem like a short cook time at that low of a temp. Is it probe tender in the thickest part of the flat?
That's a pretty long time to hold. I suggest putting it in the oven at around 150-170 and then take it out about 30 minutes before slicing it to serve. Good luck.

Not sure why, but my briskets are usually done in about 9 hours. I have one (14 pounder) on right now. It's measuring 189 after seven hours. It's been cooking at 240 to 250 as measured by the (verified) Maverick. I just don't think they take as long when compared to a butt. I wouldn't worry about it. Use your experience on the next cook.

I think relative humidity has something to do with it. Maybe barometric pressure. Mine usually cook very slow with low humidity but the last one I cooked we had rain and it cooked pretty fast. It was still around 14 hrs. I think the brisket was 16 lbs through.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up pulling it off around 5:30 in the morning when the Maverick said that it had reached 206 degrees as measured in the thickest part of the flat. It was already wrapped in foil. I wrapped a couple more layers of foil once I took it off. I put hot water in my Yeti and let it sit there for a few mins. Drained the hot water and laid down a towel. Put the foil wrapped brisket on the towel and added more towels and blankets to fill the rest of the space. I took the brisket out 8 hours later and it was right at 146 degrees internally. It was super tender and moist. I guess it cooked in 7 hours just fine. I was just nervous that it had cooked too fast. It was a 13 pounder and had 15 guests. There was NONE left. Everyone raved about it. Will definitely be making more. It was raining so I think humidity sped up the process

Thanks for the replies. I ended up pulling it off around 5:30 in the morning when the Maverick said that it had reached 206 degrees as measured in the thickest part of the flat. It was already wrapped in foil. I wrapped a couple more layers of foil once I took it off. I put hot water in my Yeti and let it sit there for a few mins. Drained the hot water and laid down a towel. Put the foil wrapped brisket on the towel and added more towels and blankets to fill the rest of the space. I took the brisket out 8 hours later and it was right at 146 degrees internally. It was super tender and moist. I guess it cooked in 7 hours just fine. I was just nervous that it had cooked too fast. It was a 13 pounder and had 15 guests. There was NONE left. Everyone raved about it. Will definitely be making more. It was raining so I think humidity sped up the process

Forget what I suggested. I'm going to try your Yeti method next time!!

Back