First Attempt at Using Lump Charcoal.

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Supposedly there wasn’t going to be any rain last night, but with constant thunder and lightning going on. I wasn’t going to be denied again.
Dragged the performer under the covered patio and fired up some Western lump.

Dinner was going to be the same recipe Robert R did a few days ago using LA chicken fry but using mayo instead of the batter for the base.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75158-Kettle-Fried-Chicken-Redux

Sides were a red potato and grilled zucchini.

The Western lump worked out great filled both baskets just to the top of the basket. A little white smoke at startup but nowhere near as nasty as KBB and a few pops but noting serious.
Let the flames burn down put some apple chunks over the baskets on the grate and when the dome read 450 put the chicken on.
Sprayed the chicken with pam at the 25 minute mark and flipped it and sprayed the other side. At 175 I pulled the chicken.
The Chicken came out great, crispy and very tasty, although I would let it go a little more next time to get it really crunchy.
I like the mayo instead of more batter, makes for a lighter crust.

Overall I really liked the lump it burns really hot, lights faster than the KBB and has a pleasant aroma but didn’t add any off tastes to the chicken.
Glad I got four bags of the Western on sale

43277538845_d83a0391a2_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6416 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43277536875_95478ae3ef_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6420 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43277535095_0c495f5446_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6428 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44182587291_e4e09a540f_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6440 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44182586401_af2fa8dc83_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6443 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43277540675_8675e561e1_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6445 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:
Me next with the mayo slather.
Everything looks great Rich!
Happy that you're happy with the Western lump, your experience was very similar to mine.
Anxious to see one of your and Barb's pizza cooked with it.

Delicious looking dinner Rich. Be thankful you're getting rain along with your lightning. Nothing but dry lightning here and that has the state on pins and needles.

Chicken and dinner look great!!! Glad you like the mayo slather.

Guess I'm stuck with RO lump as there isn't any Western around here, to my knowledge.

If Rich likes it, I’ll give it a shot! I have to be out by Wally World tomorrow anyway on my way past, I might snag a bag?

All I can say is I think it's very good although I don't have any experience with lump so take my opinion for what it's worth. We will be doing burgers with it tonight if it doesn't rain.

Rich, the only time I used lump, it was for a local food coop and I was not impressed, I may just be jaded but, I didn’t feel like I could control it like briquettes, I suppose that is normal, new product, new learning curve.
Given your drought conditions, I hope it rains! I love the Prescott area but, didn’t save well enough to retire there...come on Lotto!

Last edited:

Back