First attempt at Prime Rib and boy do I have questions...

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
So, the Fall camping trip for my son's scout pack is coming up in a few weeks. I'm taking over as "camp chef" from one of the outgoing parents and he's dead set on having prime rib since this will be his and his son's last cub scout camp outing. I brought my 18" WSM to our Spring trip back in April and folks were blown away by the pulled pork, so I've got something of a reputation to uphold. The problem is I've never done a prime rib. The only beef I've smoked is brisket and chuck roast. I'm good with those, but PR is - I think - another beast altogether.

So, my questions are:
1) What temp to cook at? I'd assume normal "low & slow" range (~230, give or take a few degrees)
2) How long should I expect it to take? We're looking at feeding about 60 folks (there will be other proteins, not just PR), so probably planning on two 9-10 pound roasts.
3) Squeeze them onto one rack, or go top & bottom? I'm thinking the latter and assuming that one will be a bit larger than the other; that would go up top.
4) How long can they be held? With a brisket, cooked to ~190-200, you can foil it up, put it in a warmed cooler and it'll happily sit for 3-4 hours. Since everything I've read says to pull PR at 130-135, it wouldn't have nearly as much heat built up to keep it in the safe zone for as long. Or, will sitting that long cause it to overcook from the carryover? Really, we target dinner time at about 5:30, but sometimes it's not until 7. I don't want the main dish to come out less than perfect because it had to sit too long.
5) What kind of wood to use? I'd think hickory or mesquite (my standards for beef) would be good, but is there something else that's "standard" for PR?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Chad

When I make Prime Rib, I cook it on a WSM at about 225° until I hit an internal temp of 120°.
Christmas%20Prime%20Rib-5804-L.jpg

Then I sear it on a kettle (not sure if you'll have that option) 'til the internal gets to 130°.
Christmas%20Prime%20Rib-5813-L.jpg

Ends up looking like:
Christmas%20Prime%20Rib-5820-L.jpg

Hummm, if someone in Cub Scouts is dead set on prime rib I would put them in charge of buying and cooking it but that is just me.

As to the preparation salt & pepper it liberally. Onion & garlic powder optional but I like that flavor profile.
The lower the cooking temperature the more consistent the internal temperature of the meat will be and the carry over cooking will be less too.
Use a thermometer located right in the center, shoot for 135-140.

Those pictures look great and that searing adds lots of flavor.

I don't know the setting for the Cub Scout cook, but I would need to be in "my element" so I could use all my own stuff just so I would be satisfied with the finished product.
Prime rib costs lots of money, I am much more picky as the price goes up.

When I went camping as a kid we ate hot dogs and hamburgers..... I need to join your scout troop!!! haha
Should be a fun trip. I have never smoked prime rib and don't have any real advice but I'm sure it will turn out great!

As Charles said, the lower the chamber temp, the more consistent the internal color (degree of doneness) will be. Cooking time for PR is based on the thickness of the loin, not the weight. An 8lb half loin that is 5 inches thick will take the same amount of time to cook as a 16lb full loin that is also 5 inches thick. Chamber temp comes into play of course, as does the starting internal temp of the meat when you put it on the smoker. I.e. right from the cooler at 40 degrees will take more time in the smoker than one that was put on at "room temp".

As for holding PR, you can hold it for a very long time if you can keep the smoker stable at just over 140 degrees. Restaurants will cook a PR up to about 135 degrees internal and then hold it at 140ish in an Alto-Sham for 4 or 5 hours without a problem. That said, there are other tricks you can use to have it at the proper temp at serving time. If someone is available, just monitor the cook. Figure on about 4 to 5 hours for cook time. Watch the progress of the loins and if dinner is delayed, drop the chamber temp and slow the cook down. Either close up some vents for a bit or take the lid off, vent the heat then put the lid back on. If dinner will be seriously delayed, put the smoke on pause by pulling the PRs off the smoker once you find out about the delay. Tent them with foil to keep bugs and whatnot at bay and just let them sit until time to put them back on to finish.

If you want, you could cheat by smoking them at home before you leave, then put them on at 250 for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to bring them back up to 135. Might be hard to believe, but they will be a nice mid rare when reheated.

Also, decide if you want a nice crispy crust on the outside or if you want it soft. If you prefer a crust, pull the PR about 10 degrees sooner and let it rest. While it's resting, stoke your smoker and get it as hot as you can. After about 20 mins, put the PR back on the smoker and roll it around to sear it. Since you had already let it rest, you can slice and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips & info. One of the parents in the pack owns a restaurant and is getting them from the local Restaurant Depot and having them tied & seasoned; I'll just need to cook 'em. From the links provided and some other research, it sounds like holding at temp for more than an hour without them overcooking is going to be a challenge, so I'll have to time things just right and stay on top of the rest of the meal to ensure it gets served at the appointed time. I'll plan on pulling them off at about 120, wrap in foil until close to serving time, then throw them on one of our charcoal tables for a last-minute sear and to bring the IT up to 135.

Now to consider the next challenge: how to mash 30 pounds of potatoes!

I think your plan is the best one. The last few prime ribs that I've made were low and slow, rest, and then sear. I used to have an article bookmarked that covered the various methods people use to cook prime rib, with this one producing the least amount of overcooked meat around the perimeter of the cut. The last time I did I rested the roast for about an hour and a half before searing, and it was by far the best I've made so far.

Back