First Attempt at making Snack Sticks

CLasko

TVWBB Pro
Decided to try giving snack sticks a whirl.

5lb test batch. 50/50 pork and beef.

Wille's Snack Stick Seasoning from Walton's
Sure Gel meat binder
Encapsulated Citric Acid

Hand mix for about 10 minutes to get good protein extraction. Stuffed into 19mm casings.

I was worried about thermal processing and fatting out because my Rec-Teq 700 can only go as low 180*....but monitored temps and in about 2.5 hours the IT was around around 145* and then decided to finish in a 170* water bath in our turkey roaster. Took about 45ish minutes to get them to an IT of about 165*. Then into an ice bath for about 20-30 minutes. Let bloom at room temp for about an hour then over night to further air dry in fridge.

Very happy with the results. Thanks for looking.

51825303634_5659a29164_z.jpg

51825682840_b4cff18f94_z.jpg

51825070348_b598ea2360_z.jpg

51825682790_93c7d402aa_z.jpg

Those look great!! I need to make another batch soon.

I'm going to play around with adjusting the offset on the RT so that it will run lower (+15 should get the pit temp down to 153F which would work.) A couple of folks on the RT forum have done this with success. I think the colder the ambient temp, the better, but worth a try!

Rich

Those look great!! I need to make another batch soon.

I'm going to play around with adjusting the offset on the RT so that it will run lower (+15 should get the pit temp down to 153F which would work.) A couple of folks on the RT forum have done this with success. I think the colder the ambient temp, the better, but worth a try!

Rich
Would love to know the results of that. I had thought about it, but then tried a low-tech approach and used some wadded up aluminum foil to prop the lid open. It was about 20* in Chicago area yesterday and was thinking it would keep a lower temp as I've seen people do that with success, but that 700 is such a machine it hummed right along at 180, so I ran with it. Haha. Since this was a test batch I was preparing for worst case outcome, but was really please with the results!

I've been wanting to do this for a while and just haven't gotten around to it. I think I may use my electric smoker just to make it easier on myself for my first try. They do look really good!

Back