First attempt at brisket a la Franklin BBQ

YYang

TVWBB Fan
For my second cook on the WSM, smoked a brisket roughly according to Aaron Franklin's instructions in his book "Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto." Here's the overview:

Meat: USDA Prime packer brisket, 14.87 lbs wet-aged in cryovac packaging for 3 weeks. Trimmed weight 11.33 lbs
Prep: Lots of trimming. Rubbed and sat at room temperature for 5 hrs.
Seasonings: 50/50 Salt/Pepper. Spritz with apple cider vinegar/worcestershire/water mixture
Wood: Mainly hickory, 2 chunks mesquite
Method: Lazy Snake. Started with scant Weber mini-chimney full of lit coals.
Target Temp: 250℉ to 275℉ throughout cook, preferably on the higher end of the range.
Setup: Foiled empty water pan with aluminum tray of hot water sitting inside, drip pan on lower grate.
Weather: 82 Hi/61 Lo/ Wind SE 7 mph/Humidity 63%.

Since I haven't gotten around to testing out the Minion method on a shorter, easier cook, I wanted to stick with what I knew. I made a "lazy snake" with an empty coffee can and a wad of aluminum foil to help the charcoal sit right:
IMG_0584_zpsrtlhbilq.jpg

I trimmed a ton of fat off - enough to render a whole quart of tallow. I trimmed the fat band very aggressively, which resulted in a deep trench between the point and the flat. As recommended by Aaron Franklin, I trimmed off some of the "excess" flap of point and smoked it separately. Here's the result of bumbling around for a full half hour with Aaron's video on repeat, trying to trim without destroying the meat:
IMG_0595_zpsijgtahud.jpg

Six hours in, the bark was set, so I wrapped in butcher paper. I struggled to get a neat, tight wrap because I was working on a half-sized sheet pan's worth of space. Note to self for next time: clear off the table so you can spread out wrap properly. Back it went on the cooker along with some potatoes to keep it company:
IMG_0602_zpswjwdy90r.jpg
The leave-in probe I inserted after wrapping read 175. Only problem was, I had no idea where the probe was sitting. I wasn't even sure whether I had the fat cap up or down inside the butcher paper. Gotta pay more attention next time. I got the internal temp up to 195 before the cooker temp started falling under my target range. I wanted to wait until it hit 203 to pull it off, but with the coals dying and the clock ticking, I decided to pull it off and let it rest. I was hoping there would be a few degrees of carryover, but it peaked at about 196. All told, she sat in the WSM for 11 hours. Here she is, along with her amputated piece of point in the lower left corner:
IMG_0605_zpsyo3gmkjb.jpg

The flat was tender with no tug at all. While it wasn't dry, I wouldn't call it moist, either.
IMG_0610_zpskjqqp3oi.jpg

The point end had the jiggly, flexible quality I was looking for, but again, it was tender yet not as moist as it could be.
IMG_0612_zpshowfkbvz.jpg

A couple observations from this cook:

• Something about the WSM tempers the smoke nicely. I have a terrible habit of oversmoking. On the 22.5'' OTG, I turned out a lot of bitter, ashy tasting food because I would add chunks of wood whenever there wasn't a swirling maelstrom of white stuff coming out of the vents. It was some kind of compulsion, really. I've since been enlightened to the fact that "good" smoke shouldn't look like belches from a hot spring in the dead of winter. I still think that by a reasonable person's standards, I added too much wood this time (probably a good 12 chunks altogether), but ended up with a balanced flavor that had little to no bitterness. I think that if I had used the same quantity of wood in the OTG, the food would not have had the same balanced smoke flavor.
  • Rendering the trimmings for tallow revealed how different types of brisket fat render differently. The hard, bright white stuff doesn't ever break down fully. It does release fat, but you still end up with a spongy matrix of tissue that would be very unpleasant to eat. The softer type of fat renders down to a thinner, crispy strip that's almost translucent. I would have eaten it as a crackling-like snack if my conscience hadn't kicked in.

A couple questions about this cook:

• The way I trimmed the brisket made the point hang over the flat, making a trench that prevented smoke from contacting it when the fat cap was face down. I had to flip the brisket fat cap up in order to set the bark in that area. Should I not have removed as much fat from that area? Alternatively, should I have cut off more of that flap of point such that it didn't hang over as much?
  • Any tips for inserting a leave-in probe properly after wrapping the brisket? I don't know how to make sure I'm probing the right part of the meat if it's covered in paper. Inserting it beforehand would make it hard to wrap tightly.

Thanks for taking a look :)

It looks like you did pretty damn well. I usually do minion method with about 4 large fist sized chunks but you are probably fine. I think you may have slightly overcooked it based on the appearance of the point but I would say barely. I'd devour that. I think your flat is probably as good as it gets. I personally wouldn't have trimmed that aggressively for the reasons you stated just to avoid that overlap. Although a competition style trim will remove WAY more. I'm not a fan of that. If some of the part you removed overcooks its usually great natural burnt ends.

Some briskets are just going to have a point that overlaps the flat like that, though and I've kept trimming and trimming and regretted it. A little extra fat can be trimmed at the table if people don't want it. You wrapping job looks about like mine! I just reinsert the probe through the paper. Towards 190 internal you are really going by feel to tell when to pull it off. The temp is just giving you ballpark so if your probe isn't perfect its not the end of the world.

The only reason I'm saying anything though is because you asked. That brisket really looks great, the crust looks amazing and I'd be seriously proud if I cooked that.

The Brisket does look very tasty. I think I would disagree with the meat being overcooked-in fact I think it might be a tad under cooked. In your picture I see unrendered fat. I think if you went a little bit longer you might have found the moisture you were looking for. Just my opinion.

Agree with Steve that the point looks a tad under-rendered. How long did it rest? Was it wrapped for the rest? I cook USDA Prime packers as well: water in the pan and no wrap at all. Rest on the counter until internal drops into the 170s, then tight wrap in foil and into the cooler for 4 hours. The longer the rest, the better.

Photos look great and the bark looks superb. Hope you enjoyed it.

Agree with Steve that the point looks a tad under-rendered. How long did it rest? Was it wrapped for the rest? I cook USDA Prime packers as well: water in the pan and no wrap at all. Rest on the counter until internal drops into the 170s, then tight wrap in foil and into the cooler for 4 hours. The longer the rest, the better.

Photos look great and the bark looks superb. Hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks for everyone's nice words and helpful feedback. It rested on the counter for two hours wrapped in foil. It was at 146 just before slicing. I think I might have to do an overnight cook next time to allow for a lengthy rest and have it ready for dinner. That, or start smoking before dawn and eat brisket for breakfast the next morning.

Looks really good. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for a prime brisket? They run about $7/lb here. Great job.

Looks really good. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for a prime brisket? They run about $7/lb here. Great job.

I paid for prime because I figured that given the investment of time, fuel and energy into smoking a brisket that will likely last for multiple meals, I should go for the best grade of meat possible. The flat is naturally a dense, poorly marbled muscle, so I'll take all the help I can get. However, it only cost me $3.28/lb from Sam's Club ($48.77 total), which is not that much more expensive than choice. $7/lb=ouch!

I've got a local butcher selling Creekstone Farms prime for $4 a lb. Our Sam's only sells choice but it's still pretty good. Brisket prices are supposed to be coming down.

Back