First ABT attempt

Well the ABTs are just ok.
They cooked up just fine, had to crisp the bacon using direct heat which was ok.
I expected the bacon to add a lot more flavor than it did.
Overall a little bland.

Well the ABTs are just ok.
They cooked up just fine, had to crisp the bacon using direct heat which was ok.
I expected the bacon to add a lot more flavor than it did.
Overall a little bland.

I find the brand of bacon makes a big difference in flavor. Some of the store brands or cheaper brands seem flavorless to me. Your peppers look like a great first try, though.

We love ABTs and think they pack a flavorful punch. I use the cheapest bacon I can find and change my filling recipe often.

The filling was cream cheese, grated Colby jack, fine chopped onion, a little (very little) sugar, enough shredded brisket to know it's there, and a little salt.
The bacon was thin sliced Oscar Meyer.

For a first attempt they were ok, but there can be improvement.

Different maybe thicker bacon, the filler needs less cheese and a lot more SPOG, I think more meat would be better and fresh chopped cilentro along with ground cumin would probably be good too.
I am trying to decide if these would be good with a strong touch of sweet.
A dose of smoke wouldn't hurt anything either.

The filling was cream cheese, grated Colby jack, fine chopped onion, a little (very little) sugar, enough shredded brisket to know it's there, and a little salt.
The bacon was thin sliced Oscar Meyer.

For a first attempt they were ok, but there can be improvement.

Different maybe thicker bacon, the filler needs less cheese and a lot more SPOG, I think more meat would be better and fresh chopped cilentro along with ground cumin would probably be good too.
I am trying to decide if these would be good with a strong touch of sweet.
A dose of smoke wouldn't hurt anything either.

I was thinking cream cheese and rice for my filling - I haven't made them yet but I've eaten them.... just a few. I'm liking your ideas and cook...

Those sure look good, just mess around with em you'll find something you'll like. The sky's the limit on what you can use, we've used chopped up brats, pulled pork with all kinds of different cheeses. I'll also use some different Weber or other rubs into the cheese.

Ditto to Rich and try different cream cheeses, that will make a difference also. There are lots of great ways to do them just have fun trying.

I won't give up.
They were not bad they just need to be dialed in.
They tasted like jalapeño, cream cheese, and a little bacon.
Definitely going to hit 'em with smoke next time and 50/50 mixture of cheese/meat filling, and I think my regular thick cut bacon won't be to much for them either.
Anyone use one of those pepper holders, what is your opinion of it?

They tasted like jalapeño, cream cheese, and a little bacon.

images

:)

:wsm:

Are ABT & Poppers the same thing? We slice the peppers in half (lengthwise) put the cream cheese and bacon inside and cook them on the grill like lil boats. They're good when they decide to be good, it's a lot of work imho

Back