Finally got a Premium Brisket for cheap

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
What with pandemic and post-pandemic pricing, availability of briskets are getting better with decent pricing. Prior to covid, I don't think I EVER even saw a brisket, let alone one at good price. Because of transpo issues (lack of drivers apparently), they had to "unload" briskets here in Ontario. LUCKY US 😁

Finally got a PRIME one at $4/lb (usually run $7-8 lb and at 14 lb, that is one pricy piece of meat).

Today is the only day in the next 7 that says no rain so in she goes. Doing a high heat so it should be done by 3pm/eat at 5.

As is usual, my WSM struggles to get above 300o. After 2 hr, I'm still just sitting at 307o. It'll work but just take a bit longer. Pic is ready to go in and the temps at 9.30 a.m. or so.

Attachments

• 20230620_093116.jpg
    20230620_093116.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230620_093120.jpg
    20230620_093120.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 9
  • iMarkup_20230620_110240.jpg
    iMarkup_20230620_110240.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I never understand how some folks can get 7-8 hr out of full ring. I did get it to 325 but only stayed there for about an hour. I've now dropped to 295o after ~4 hr. BUT the good news is she hit 165 ! !

Took it out, wrapped in b/paper, stirred the coals, added another 20 or so and back she goes. If this doesn't get the temps back up, in the oven she goes (y)

Long time no see Len. I know your pain, CA & CAN where the only good deal is not a bad deal, LOL
I miss my Redi Chek thermometer. The thermometer works, just not the probes. I ordered replacement probes, and they didn't work either

Long time no see Len. I know your pain, CA & CAN where the only good deal is not a bad deal, LOL
I miss my Redi Chek thermometer. The thermometer works, just not the probes. I ordered replacement probes, and they didn't work either
Life gets in the way 😉

I needed replacement meat probes as well/got them ~2 yr ago and they work fine. The unit itself is sometimes a little fussy but I usually get it to work as expected.

ANYWAYS, 199o at 3pm and it's out and resting now. Pics when I unwrap and dig in (y)

Well, to be honest I'm kinda disappointed. Claimed to be prime (not select) and well, I start at the flat (end) and work towards my favourite (point).

It's got a ton of flavour and is perfect 'tender' wise but well, we know the flat is the lean end.

This was not juicy at all, in fact I needed two beers 😉 Hopefully as we move towards the point, things will improve.
iMarkup_20230620_170329.jpg

This was not juicy at all, in fact I needed two beers
I suspect that the 300 pit degree might have factored in with that. When you rested it, did you allow it to cool to 170 before wrapping it up tight? You'll lose some juice if you don't. Good smoke ring, and a couple beers is never a bad thing

I suspect that the 300 pit degree might have factored in with that. When you rested it, did you allow it to cool to 170 before wrapping it up tight? You'll lose some juice if you don't. Good smoke ring, and a couple beers is never a bad thing
Pulled it wrapped from smoker and into a roasting pan wrapped in towels for 90 min (still wrapped in b/paper). Last one I had was select and followed the exact same procedure (I make notes on all my smokes) and this one was no different.

Dunno. It'll be a while till I get to the point though. Have to slice and freeze majority of flat then when I get to the point, I'll return to this thread (y)

Looks good to me! The flat is hard to not dry out. I bet the point is great!
Yah, I was very aware of that. Had watched a "pro" prep their brisket. Man, he cut so much meat off with the fat "to square it up" prior to smoking.

It looked perfectly square (he even cut some of the point off to flatten it) but wow, so much waste.

I digress. We'll see how the point turns out later.

Dunno. It'll be a while till I get to the point though. Have to slice and freeze majority of flat then when I get to the point, I'll return to this thread (y)
The point is my favorite. I often just buy the point only. I'm betting yours will be excellent

I used to start at the flat too then I started cutting it right in half and leaving more of the flat for brisket chili or Twinkie stuffing.
My granddaughter loved the last one, two big slices for her and saying “Grandpa, the fat is like the best butter I’ve ever had!”
I laughed until I was in tears! I’m a lucky grandpa!

Yah, I was very aware of that. Had watched a "pro" prep their brisket. Man, he cut so much meat off with the fat "to square it up" prior to smoking.

It looked perfectly square (he even cut some of the point off to flatten it) but wow, so much waste.

I digress. We'll see how the point turns out later.

I literally will turn it into sausage or hamburger but a lot of guys won't. It's a complete waste if not used. That cut is way more critical on offset with really high airflow. The WSM tends to be less convective and you can get away with less trimming. At 300 you are probably pushing some air through there, though.

I used to start at the flat too then I started cutting it right in half and leaving more of the flat for brisket chili or Twinkie stuffing.
My granddaughter loved the last one, two big slices for her and saying “Grandpa, the fat is like the best butter I’ve ever had!”
I laughed until I was in tears! I’m a lucky grandpa!
Oh, I know what she means. The fat between the 'parts' is just soooooo flavourful. I tried to convince SWMBO to just try it. She did BUT I got the rest of her's as she has the mind set "you don't eat fat like that".

More for me 😁

Back