Feeling dumb...help me feel better!

One of my great dumb a** things I did was when I was younger I used to change my own engine oil in the car to save a few bucks. I drained it and proceeded to put five quarts into the engine which immediately found its way to the garage floor through the drain hole that I forgot to put the drain plug back into. What a mess!

I did similar
I was single and lived in apartment
Wanted to change oil one evening about 9 pm cause i was going out of town next morning and it was due.

So i went to a do it yourself carwash....well lit at night...my apt complex wasnt.
Put my old dirty bucket under my 4wd truck, drained oil into it.
Plan was to pour used oil into the container i filled truck from.

I got in hurry because didnt want to be seen/caught
Poured new oil in without putting plug back in......all my new oil went into bucket with old oil and dirt.

So i was stuck at a carwash at night, no oil in truck.

Managed to walk about 3/4 mile to a gas station and buy some oil...10 min before they closed

Yep I did the oil on the ground ONCE. Never again. LOL. I have also recently been cutting the lawn and wondering why I was not seeing the "tracks" where the grass should be shorter. Suddenly realizing I forgot to engage the PTO.

I did the oil thing like you guise not long ago.

My worst was after I had a new engine put in my old truck back in the late 90s, I was cruising around with a friend who wanted to stop for a haircut. I checked the oil & I couldn't see anything on the dipstick. I walked into the grocery store in the strip mall we stopped at & got a quart of oil. Still nothing. Got 2 quarts - still nothing. My friend walked out & he said "dude! It's all the way up the dipstick!. So we drove it to his apartment a few blocks away, we cut the bottom off a couple gallon jugs and a bucket. I got down & removed the plug & it was HOT! Oil went everywhere. A few of us stayed back & tried to sop it up, & my bro took off to find some dirt. He came back with several buckets of sand.........he poured it out in the parking spaces & a few of us hung out and played hacky sack & drank. They still give me sh*t about that 20 years later.

Last night, another something stupid: I've had my "new" bike apart - new tires, brakes, chain/sprockets, air filters, etc. It's been raining every day so I've only ridden it around the block. Last night I reinstalled the right parts, re-torqued some things and still need to re-check others. I wasn't all that confident but I wanted to take it out for a few. I called a friend - got my destination. Rolled it out: starts raining. NBD, have a jacket & gloves, planning to just go on 45-55mph roads. 20 miles later, I'm on the freeway going 75 (crappy section that has bumps----and I'd just had my forks apart). Later that night a car got closer to me than I liked (avoid motorcycles people), next thing I know I hit 95 (still climbing rapidly) thinking "those tires sure felt hard from the shop & I didn't check the PSI", the front & rear axles weren't torqued but I tightened w/ my breaker bar.... the chain was only roughly adjusted, not actually measured slack. so Too fast on an old moto. It felt good though.

Yep I did the oil on the ground ONCE. Never again. LOL. I have also recently been cutting the lawn and wondering why I was not seeing the "tracks" where the grass should be shorter. Suddenly realizing I forgot to engage the PTO.

Have you seen the topsider? I've done a couple oil changes on my newest van (2018 promaster) with it. It's decent. I got a bucket with the volume markings so I can make sure I got it all out. I've only used it on my newest van so far but not my other four-wheeled vehicles.

https://youtu.be/CYPH3CMS6-0

Also Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator

My SLK holds 9.5 litres so I have to be vigilant. It depends on how much your vehicle holds. Obviously bikes are much less. YMMV.

Two other dumbest things ever did:

Set up project review meeting with another plantsite of ours. Had group of about 8 of us travelling to the meeting.
We on the plane on last leg of flight.....i realized suddenly i never confirmed the day/time with the plantsite. They wasnt expecting us...

And once when was dating my wife, i looked in papers entertainment section for something to do one friday night. A play...thats different. Put on by local theater group. Ordered tickets over phone, etc. Went to it.

It was kids....like 5-8 yr old. That was hard to live down.... Youd think theyd say that somewhere....

AH yes. Words to live by:
DsMIh-eVYAETEcu.jpg

OK, this wasn't me! I swear on my 22" WSM it wasn't. A friend of mine, honestly, was at work one day complaining of some intestinal ailment. His wife was a nurse and happened to work at their family physician's office. She made him an appointment and he went in and was examined by the doctor. I forget exactly what the problem was, but the doctor prescribed a medication for him to take. He took one and came to work. That night his wife asked him how it went and he told her what had transpired. She looked at him seriously and asked if the tablet was difficult to insert. He felt like a complete idiot and was too embarrassed to tell her he swallowed it. His wife of course was enjoying a little nurse humor and didn't let on she was kidding. Well, the next morning he followed her lead and you guessed it....... He claimed that the fire he later expelled was nearly a foot long.

Here’s one for you Chris: i’ve been smoking on the WSM for years now. Long enough to kinda know how to set it and forget it for most cooks. Well, I fired up the cooker, set it up for a rib cook, and went on about my business for about three hours. The cooker was acting weird. I wasn’t getting temp like normal for this cook. I later figured out why: I hadn’t opened the top vent. Pretty hard to draw in air with no chimney pulling it in. Man, i’m dumb.

So how well do 2-cycle engines run on gas only? For a short time ok. After that not so much. One dead blower. Almost a second dead NEW one but finally figured it out.

Back