Favorite Store Bought Sauce

WOW, great question!! I would say now it is Stubb's BBQ sauce. If I am looking for something sweet, then it is Sweet Baby Ray's. Has anybody made Neely's BBQ Sauce? This is my true favorite!! That is what I make for my ribs.

Another vote for SBR's, but not straight from the bottle to the food. I add several ingredients to it and one of those is bourbon.:cool:...........................david

I'm truly surprised by the votes for SBR. I tried it when it first came out and thought it was overpoweringly sweet. I'm talking sweet to the point that you couldn't tell if you were eating chicken or pork. I may have to revisit it.

Another favorite when I want a little tang is Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. Just enough heat to let you know it's there.

Bill Johnson's Original Barbeque Sauce has been our go-to, but with all the "votes" for Sweet Baby Ray's... well, I need to give that a try!

Heffy's original is another good one if you want a thick and rich KC-style sauce, but not too sweet. It's "all natural", too.:rolleyes: Unfortunately, I've only seen it in small bottles at World Market and it's not cheap, not unlike the other micro-crafted sauces that my daughter picks up for me. Funny how she wants me to cut back on meat, but picks up sauces for me. All of them have been good, though. (Wish she'd get me another bottle of the Rufus Teague. ;)) For Christmas it was a bottle of Heffy's and one other KC sauce called "Cowtown". I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it supposedly won best sauce of some sort award at the Royal in recent years.

Head Country original. I tweeked and worked on a home made sauce that my family would like for two years before I ended with something I really liked. Lst year when I moved from StL to AR I bought some Head Country for my first AR cook and it was the same sauce! My wife could not tell the differance and thought I made a batch, now I just buy gallon jugs at Sams.
Side note, for a famous BBQ spot Arther Bryants bottled sauce is nasty.

I grew up in Chicago so SBR's is as close to a good sauce round here. But like most of us, I wander the Condiments/Marinades/ BBQ sauce isle looking for something new and different.
Recent find is McCormick Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon sauce. We like the marinade and the sauce is just as good.

Tim

Williamson Bro's is by far the best I've had.

My favorite suace is an Eastern NC vinegar based sauce made by some local boy scouts. My favorite store bought sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's regular. Just curious as to what others buy?

SWMBO: Grill Mate's Sweat Island Pepper

Me: Rarely use commercial sauce. I normally use home made...sparingly. I usually go with Carolina Red, No 5, or what I call Bourbon-Q Sauce. When I do it's a tough call:

IMG_1252_zps435e0f4f.jpg

Last edited:
Williamson Bros. Original and Classic Carolina

Williamson Bro's is by far the best I've had.

And another Georgia Boy jumps in to cast his vote for Williamson Bros. By FAR the best afaic. (When I lived in Marietta, my office was less than 2 miles from Williamson Bros, so I lunched there a lot.)

Oh, and a strange note about it from a little research I did just last week: it's cheaper at the Publix near me ($2.99 for the 16 oz. bottle) than buying it by the gallon directly from the Williamson Bros' site or from Amazon. It IS cheaper at Sam's Club than Publix if you can find it there, but it's not carried in any Sam's Club in SC, and they don't deliver it. I need to pick up a bunch of it at a Sam's next time I'm home in Georgia, I guess. ;)

Back