Favorite Store Bought Sauce

Sweet Baby Rays, hands down my favorite. Plus COSTCO carries it in a 2-pack.

If I'm looking to kick it up a couple notches in spiciness category, then I'd go with Stubbs. It's not quite as thick a Sweet Baby Rays, but it has great flavor and a nice after-burn.

Uncle Dougies Mild Wild or Bone Suckin Sauce. Too many of the store bought sauces use high fructose corn syrup not sugar.
Natural sugar is way better than that invasive HFCS any day for me. Look at it this way, we are using natural meats, hardwood
charcoal, real smokewood, why pollute it with un-natural ingredients in the sauce?

For those in the St Louis area, Cole's Sweet Heat is a must try. It is sweet as the name implies but also carries a complex flavor profile through to the slightly warm finish. A fine compliment to any meat but killer on chicken.

537900_290014871133371_90781540_n.jpg

KC Masterpiece original with a bit of honey and a small touch of dark amber maple syrup for ribs and pulled pr0k. Nothing for Brisket. SBR is OK, but the wife and I just prefer KC original.

Same here we love KC Masterpiece original, I add some honey and pickle juice, for the baby backs. I just love to see my guest try and lick that honey sauce off their face and arms and fingers.......

I lived in Georgia for a long time so I'm a big fan of Williamson Bro's. I also used Stubbs a lot. I live in Kansas now and I discovered Oklahoma Joe's original sauce an it's really good. I always keep Blues Hog Tennessee Red on hand too.

Yeah Sweet Baby Rays you cant go wrong...its the sauce for the masses. If i cook smaller i will branch out a bit an try different things.

I like Famous Dave's Devil Spit when I want a spicy kick. I used to love the sauce made by a local guy, but he closed up shop this summer! It's tragic!

I mostly use Stubb's or Dinosaur BBQ's sensuous slathering sauce on hand. I also like their Wango Tango which has good kick, but my rubs typically have some decent heat so it can be a bit much. Ill use Sweet Baby Ray's as base for something sweeter when cooking for a group. Got a gift of Corky's regular and Smokin Hot from someone who lives in Memphis. Have used the Corky's as my sweet sauce lately, haven't tried the Smokin Hot yet.

SBR is a go-to staple, and it's safe. Though in Texas we're a no-sauce state (lol) I'll have a bottle on hand for those who like the typical commercial sauce, because it's safe and will satisfy the masses. (I think they may even make one with a little heat now.) But for my comps, catering, etc, I have about 5 different concoctions using Blues Hog derivatives (i.e. Blues Hog Original, Tennessee Red, and I LOVE the Smokey Mountain). I buy these by the gallons as well these days. We're fortunate in that we have several local grocery chains that stock aisles full of BBQ sauce and the like, so there is always something new to try as one feels compelled.

I like Head Country.

Me too!! I buy it by the gallon. Got turned on to it when I was in Kansas City, Kansas for a wedding years ago. Talking to some of guys and the conversation turned to BBQ. Being in BBQ country, I told them that I was looking for a good BBQ sauce and asked them what BBQ sauce they used. In a hush tone, so as not to be heard aloud, they all said that they use Head Country. Of course BBQ is just as big in Kansas City, Kansas as it is in Kansas City, Missouri and they did not want to let it be known that they bought BBQ sauce from Oklahoma.

Up here we don't have quite the selection of sauces that y'all do, but in my freindly neighbourhood Loblaw's, they have "PC Smokin Habenero (sp?) BBQ Sauce". Add a little "Rooster" sauce for an added bite, and good to go.

Blues hog original for ribs
Cowton for ribs
BH tenessee red for pork
Haven't found anything I like a lot for brisket other than my own

Shout out to a neighbor / tvwb member / American royal winner - Joe McManus joey mac's smoke staxx Amberque. That stuff is great on literally everything. I'll dip a piece of white bread in it just for a fix. I can get it local but hawgeyes carries it too.

The latest issue of Cooks Illustrated tested some "high end" BBQ sauces.

Their favorite was Pork Barrel Original BBQ Sauce ("tart, savory, and more spicy than sweet") I've never tried it. $5.49 for 12 oz.

Bone Suckin' Sauce was dissed as mild and runny. Others were written off as far too sweet (although this thread suggests that major sweetness is desired by many).

Then they compared the "high end" Pork Barrel to their favorite "supermarket" brand, Bulls-Eye Original. Testers were divided. Traditionalists went with the Bull; those who preferred savory, tangy, with a kick went for Pork Barrel.

I'll probably just stick with Stubb's when too lazy to make No. 5.

Back